50 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Good thread, BTW.  mh9162013's finds pouch reminded me I wanted one of those, so I just ordered one on Ebay.

Thanks GB. I thought of doing this a while back, it's going better than I expected. Decided to wait until I had a bit more experience and whittled my stuff down. ? I am considering some of the tools/gear others are posting as well.

I am glad some of the heavy hitters are jumping in and throwing all their stuff on the floor/ground for a photo! ?

1 hour ago, dogodog said:

$100 on a shovel, Its a good thing my wife does not detect, because she would have 0 problems getting a $100 shovel, A $500 custom leather finds bag, Oh and a pair of $1000 Italian designer detecting shoes. Getting her into the hobby could be costly. 

But she would look stylish while detecting! Unlike most of us...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

Good thread, BTW.  mh9162013's finds pouch reminded me I wanted one of those, so I just ordered one on Ebay.

It's a great pouch. The loops are large, so depending on the size of your belt, the pouch might move around more than you'd like. I could fix this problem if I really wanted to, but it's not a big deal.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, mh9162013 said:

The loops are large, so depending on the size of your belt, the pouch might move around more than you'd like. I could fix this problem if I really wanted to, but it's not a big deal.

The belt loops are the only minus I see, but for a different reason.  I like wide belts (I'll photo my 'rig' later today) but don't like the fact that the straps are above the full pouch as opposed to 'hidden' like on some competitor models.  I like my pouch to mount high around my waste so it does less swinging, etc. when I walk.  When mine arrives next week I'll see if I can talk my wife into modifying it.

I'm not one who likes the mesh bottom of many pouches.  I bring my finds and trash (while still in the pouches) into the house to sort and the mesh bottom leads to dirt and dust falling out in the wrong places.  (I don't water detect so that advantage isn't relevant for me.)  Everyone has his/her preferences.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

but don't like the fact that the straps are above the full pouch as opposed to 'hidden' like on some competitor models.

Now that you mention it, it's possible that my issues with the pouch moving around might be better remedied by moving the loops down (like you referenced) as opposed to making them smaller.

Something to consider...

• Like 3

Here's my Park Pack. I prefer a shoulder sling bag because belt rigs tend to slide off me after a while. ?

I carry a water bottle, roll-up dump bag for trash, a small tackle box for good finds, probe, modified weed puller, a towel and knife and bulb shovel (in case I need to make a slit in the grass to dig a deep target), a small flashlight, and my F-Pulse pinpointer and Cache Pro Elite pinpointer (to discriminate deep iron targets). It's a small, light rig that doesn't scare park goers or parks dept. personel. ?

ParkPack.jpg

• Like 5

park-school_detecting-gear.thumb.JPG.378f8b6526e5e410d6d9ef1e90824e2f.JPG

Here's my park/school gear.  (I was feeling guilty for it not being minimalist but then I saw CPT_Ghostlight's post.  ?)

(Lower, from left to right):

1) GI belt (army surplus),

2) Estwing rock hammer/pick sheath (not used for parks/schools but keep it mounted),

3) knee pads (above belt, from Menards -- Midwest big box hardware/lumber store),

4) White's Bullseye TRX (for fine target location after Carrot gets me in the ballpark),

5) ankle straps (made for bicyclists, but I use for extra coverage to keep bugs out of my pants legs),

6) hook on belt for carrying gold pan,

7) TreasureWise leather sheeth (beats the hell out of nylon) and toothless (modified) Lesche (don't want to damage tree roots),

8 ) Detectorpro Carry-All finds and trash pouch with Garrett Carot pinpointer.

(Above center):

Fisher plastic Gold Pan with the following:

a) plastic garden trowel (handle serendipitously removed -- for deep loose dirt removal when other scoops are inconvenient),

b) insect repellant (actually leave it in the vehicle, but good reminder...),

c) 1" wide aluminum garden trowel (for working between roots),

d) spray bottle containing water (used to indentify coins, then quickly dry the find -- in case you don't know it I'm allergic to dry-rubbing finds, might as well use sandpaper, IMO....)

e) nugget scoop (removes lots of looose dirt quickly).

The gold pan (which I typically carry in my non-detector hand) doubles as an easy storage container for loose dirt and a handy place to dump scoop that contains target for further location with pinpointer.  All the loose items shown in the gold pan go somewhere in the finds/trash pouch.  I don't wear gloves except in winter to keep my hands warm (I have three different weights depending upon how cold it is).  I seldom put my bare hands into holes; I let the scoops do that. 

My homestead (permission) setup is pretty much the same except for longer handled tools (e.g. reinforced Lesche Sampson, pick, etc.)  My gold prospecting setup shares some items but this thread is about park/school/homestead/beach(?) so I'll leave those details out.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Here's my Park Pack. I prefer a shoulder sling bag because belt rigs tend to slide off me after a while. ?

I carry a water bottle, roll-up dump bag for trash, a small tackle box for good finds, probe, modified weed puller, a towel and knife and bulb shovel (in case I need to make a slit in the grass to dig a deep target), a small flashlight, and my F-Pulse pinpointer and Cache Pro Elite pinpointer (to discriminate deep iron targets). It's a small, light rig that doesn't scare park goers or parks dept. personel. ?

ParkPack.jpg

Thanks Cap'n! Nice unique rig. I never saw a Cache Pro before. I've seen the Berry and bird tools, they are great for being careful in parks. Maxpedition gear is tough stuff. ? Recently I've talked a couple of RV parks into letting me detect there, no sense in leaving a bad impression. My blade of choice is a Benchmade mini Barrage, but I have a Gerber Paraframe.

• Like 1

GB, We use the same tick and mosquito spray Ha Ha. Today it did little good, I think it was more of an attractant. I got murdered by the blood suckers but still came out on top!!!!  I'm amazed what I endure for this hobby.

• Haha 3