Smallest Coil For GPX 5000?

mn90403

True round coils have the best performance and small elliptical coils are better for tighter areas and larger elliptical coils are better for patch hunting. 

If having around gram sized and smaller gold then any of the coils your looking at should work well.

Spiral wound coils well give you better sensitivity and depth, but suffer from more ground noises, usually just lowering sensitivity can overcome this issue especially if you’re running in Smooth timing on the 4000. Smooth timing is described as having the best severe ground handling with some loss of target strength. So really depends how mineralized the ground is there.

The 14x9” mono would be a good option for picking up most gold sizes around 12 inches in depth or less, a good all around coil.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RONS DETECTORS MINELAB said:

True round coils have the best performance and small elliptical coils are better for tighter areas and larger elliptical coils are better for patch hunting. 

If having around gram sized and smaller gold then any of the coils your looking at should work well.

Spiral wound coils well give you better sensitivity and depth, but suffer from more ground noises, usually just lowering sensitivity can overcome this issue especially if you’re running in Smooth timing on the 4000. Smooth timing is described as having the best severe ground handling with some loss of target strength. So really depends how mineralized the ground is there.

The 14x9” mono would be a good option for picking up most gold sizes around 12 inches in depth or less, a good all around coil.

Would a 12.5 detech mono bundle wound be a good compromise between shallow sub gram pieces and larger deeper gold? And operate less noisy in moderate ground?

A spiral won't be noisy in moderate ground.

1 minute ago, phrunt said:

A spiral won't be noisy in moderate ground.

I’ll probably be taking it in some fairly high mineralized ground too. I guess I could switch to DD at that point

Just now, Tyler said:

I’ll probably be taking it in some fairly high mineralized ground too. I guess I could switch to DD at that point

All you would need to do is lower your sensitivity a little in worse ground, there is a reason brands like Nugget Finder and Coiltek largely discontinued bundle would coils, they're left behind when it comes to performance, there is nothing wrong with spirals in bad ground or they wouldn't have discontinued their bundle coils, they just need a little less sensitivity, yet even with lower sensitivity they'll still pick up smaller gold better than a bundle coil would.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, phrunt said:

All you would need to do is lower your sensitivity a little in worse ground, there is a reason brands like Nugget Finder and Coiltek largely discontinued bundle would coils, they're left behind when it comes to performance, there is nothing wrong with spirals in bad ground or they wouldn't have discontinued their bundle coils, they just need a little less sensitivity, yet even with lower sensitivity they'll still pick up smaller gold better than a bundle coil would.

This is true. I should be able to get it to quiet down. It says that the older 12.5 is bundle wound spiral like the older 11 inch version. But the ultra sensing version must be more sensitive 

12.5” will definitely start to loose depth on the smaller gold but you could also run your 10x5” DD in mono mode and do pretty well on the smaller bits.