Deus 2 Not Detecting Quarters Very Well

shopkins1994

Been beep diggin for decades now and have not found the first stack of quarters or the first stacked cache of coins.

Now, by God, I know why!

LMAO,

Geo

Testers being taken too seriously! Hello Dr. Calabash!

8 hours ago, shopkins1994 said:

Any thoughts on my test with the default programs? I didn’t  changed any settings. These are default programs straight from turning on the Deus 2.  

Deus 2 fails at quarters.

actually the detector operator failed at quarters.

had you lowered the discrimination to -6.4 all of your “nothing” responses would have been “reading as iron” or 00 which is accurate for many detectors when detecting high conductor coin spills  and coin rolls that wrap around into that no target ID area on Deus 2 between 99 and 0…..

6 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

had you lowered the discrimination to -6.4 all of your “nothing” responses would have been “reading as iron” or 00 which is accurate for many detectors when detecting high conductor coin spills  and coin rolls that wrap around into that no target ID area on Deus 2 between 99 and 0…..

Glad you stepped in, Jeff.  I was wondering about this.  Here are some of my thoughts:

1) We went through this exact same "expose' " when the ML Equinox was released.  (I wonder if this is the same poster....)  Someone wants to be a hero by finding an obscure weakness and then putting it up on the internet so s/he can pop the buttons off his/her shirt with pride at being "the one" who shot down the mighty new detector.

2) BTW, if comparing a stack of quarters edge-on with a control/standard (single quarter), that control should be oriented the same way -- edge on.  But the impact wouldn't be as great, and that's the important thing -- impact.  (said facetiously)

3) Why do people make videos with part of the VDI spectrum silenced?  Those of us watching often have no idea this is going on.  (I sure don't.)  Back when a detector only gave one tone, the way to eliminate digging ferrous was to silence it -- your only choice.  With multi-tone detectors, particularly ones where the ferrous region can be quited but still heard, the need for silencing has diminished considerably.  Fine, silence it when you hunt if it bothers you that much but don't do it when you're trying to share with the world how a detector works.

Did ML's 'fix' of the Equinox problem cost in other areas?  Wrap-around (both directions) seems to be an intrinsic issue in all IB/VLF detectors with digital TID readout.  I, for one, don't want to see detector performance watered down to eliminate a complaint for something that comes up once in a blue moon.  Sometimes the squeeky wheel should just be allowed to squeek.

Deus 2 being a new product……we all have a lot to learn about it once we get one or are just wanting to learn about it. 

It's an interesting phenomenon. I actually found a stack of 6 quarters laying flat on top of each other in a hole 4 inches down last week. It TIDed just slightly higher than a single quarter. Why someone would bury a stack of coins like that is a mystery to me, but it's not the first time I've found stacked coins buried in a park.

Many people don't know or care about the specifics of how eddy currents work with respect to metal detecting (I didn't until I got more into it) and they make wrong assumtions about how mutiple contacting metallic items should respond under a detector coil. I think it was the inspiration for the prevalance of 4kHz being added to SMF detectors, to assist cache and hord hunters.

Good news everyone, the Deus 2 can detect a roll of quarters in every direction if you turn the reactivity off. This makes sense because the higher the reactivity the less CPU ticks available to process the signal. So moral of the story and reactivity of zero is the way to go. Here's a video:

14 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Hi. See my response video. Disc has nothing to do with it. If you set Reactivity to zero the Deus 2 works as expected and detects the roll of quarters at all angles. 

7 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Glad you stepped in, Jeff.  I was wondering about this.  Here are some of my thoughts:

1) We went through this exact same "expose' " when the ML Equinox was released.  (I wonder if this is the same poster....)  Someone wants to be a hero by finding an obscure weakness and then putting it up on the internet so s/he can pop the buttons off his/her shirt with pride at being "the one" who shot down the mighty new detector.

2) BTW, if comparing a stack of quarters edge-on with a control/standard (single quarter), that control should be oriented the same way -- edge on.  But the impact wouldn't be as great, and that's the important thing -- impact.  (said facetiously)

3) Why do people make videos with part of the VDI spectrum silenced?  Those of us watching often have no idea this is going on.  (I sure don't.)  Back when a detector only gave one tone, the way to eliminate digging ferrous was to silence it -- your only choice.  With multi-tone detectors, particularly ones where the ferrous region can be quited but still heard, the need for silencing has diminished considerably.  Fine, silence it when you hunt if it bothers you that much but don't do it when you're trying to share with the world how a detector works.

Did ML's 'fix' of the Equinox problem cost in other areas?  Wrap-around (both directions) seems to be an intrinsic issue in all IB/VLF detectors with digital TID readout.  I, for one, don't want to see detector performance watered down to eliminate a complaint for something that comes up once in a blue moon.  Sometimes the squeeky wheel should just be allowed to squeek.

Hi. I'm bringing problems and post videos to make people think. See my response video. It shows reactivity at zero and the Deus 2 works fine and detects the roll of coins at all angles. Why would that be? What does that mean to other items in the ground? 

17 hours ago, Gwcracker said:

Been beep diggin for decades now and have not found the first stack of quarters or the first stacked cache of coins.

Now, by God, I know why!

LMAO,

Geo

Testers being taken too seriously! Hello Dr. Calabash!

See. Now you know why you haven't found them. What else did you miss?

19 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Thanks for reverifying Faraday’s Law and the principle of magnetic induction. See Capt_GhostLight’s post for part of the explanation regarding magnetically induced eddy currents, their magnitude and orientation to the coil are important and why edge on coins isolated or in clusters are difficult to detect.  Most VLF detectors have this issue crop up in some way with quarter rolls or large stacks of high conductors.  The subtleties of the eddy current orientation to  the coil also somewhat explains how the different D2 modes (and mono frequencies) react to the quarter roll.   Note that it is not surprising that Deep HC seemed to deal with the situation the best.  It is summed up by the mode description.

DEEP HIGH CONDUCTOR adds together very low and medium frequencies up to 14 kHz.
Designed to better locate good conductivity targets, it is ideal for clusters of coins whilst maintaining ex- cellent sensitivity to isolated coins using its 14 kHz frequency.

Simultaneous Multi-frequency seems to be more susceptible for some reason (do a search on Equinox for similar “Nox can’t detect big silver” videos).  Anyway, not unique to Deus 2.  

Love watching this novelty test come out with every new detector release as if it is some new discovery or a gotcha.

Nevertheless, it is an interesting phenomenon.

Thanks for sharing.

Hi. Faraday had nothing on this. If you set Reactivity to off, the Deus 2 detects the roll on all angles as expected. The question is why, and what does this mean for other items in the ground if the default programs are all set to 2.5-3?