XP Deus 2 Beach Hunt At The Great Salt Lake Pretty Impressive

abenson

Before the rain hit yesterday (snowing this morning) I took the Deus 2 out to the Great Salt Lake here in Utah. Now for those of you in Utah, I was hunting on area that you can use metal detectors legally. The GSL is 8 to 10 times saltier than the ocean, depending on where you are in the lake. Most metal detectors struggle in this very salty environment, I usually use my GXP there anymore. Some parts of the lake also have high mineralization where the river inlets are. So there are multiple challenges that are present. Most SMF machines with a standard 11" coil will get somewhere between 9 and 10 inches deep on a nickel sized target. The Minelab CTX with the 17" coil is an exception. I tested the Deus 2 both in and out of the water and I will have to say I'm pretty impressed with it's performance. Didn't find any gold this time but did find a handful of old coins.

On 3/6/2022 at 11:32 AM, abenson said:

Before the rain hit yesterday (snowing this morning) I took the Deus 2 out to the Great Salt Lake here in Utah. Now for those of you in Utah, I was hunting on area that you can use metal detectors legally. The GSL is 8 to 10 times saltier than the ocean, depending on where you are in the lake. Most metal detectors struggle in this very salty environment, I usually use my GXP there anymore. Some parts of the lake also have high mineralization where the river inlets are. So there are multiple challenges that are present. Most SMF machines with a standard 11" coil will get somewhere between 9 and 10 inches deep on a nickel sized target. The Minelab CTX with the 17" coil is an exception. I tested the Deus 2 both in and out of the water and I will have to say I'm pretty impressed with it's performance. Didn't find any gold this time but did find a handful of old coins.

Nice post Sir!!

I have to say that I have been impressed with the depth you guys have been getting with the Deus 2...esp at that location...

strick

Thanks for letting us look over your shoulder.  Did you pull any dates off of the Wheaties?  When were those tax tokens in use?

16 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Thanks for letting us look over your shoulder.  Did you pull any dates off of the Wheaties?  When were those tax tokens in use?

Dates were hard to see. But a few were in the 40's the tax tokens were used in the late 30's through early 40's. The beach I was hunting was used primarily starting during the depression and into the 70's. Rings are hard to come by at this beach. Although I have found a few over the years there. The area has been pounded over the years and there are no recent drops or wave action to bring up new stuff. So the fact that I found what I did is very telling of the Deus 2. If/When the lake ever comes back up, new targets will be in reach as the waves move the sand. But until then it's all about getting the most depth you can.

Nice post abenson!