Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

New Minelab Manticore

Sheppo

Be mindful of the man that owns just one rifle.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, rled2005 said:

I haven't seen the 2d screen separation of a small nugget with a square nail, screw, or iron object. They're in close in detection range, but can the Manticore separate them on the screen? This hasn't been shown by the reps, that I have seen. 

rled2005, I don't know which video it was but on one of them where they turned a potential buyer loose with a Manticore in a field in Europe does show just that.  There was a target on the conductive line and another target on the same screen making a blob up in the iron range.  It wasn't gold but the idea was the same.  How well it does that with gold we are yet to find out.

6 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

haha nah not scared in the least, just find it to be a waste of time.  He did the same thing after poo pooing the Equinox, but then wanted to flag and check signals with his Exp2 vs my EXQ800.  No need to waste valuable hunt time flagging and checking signals when you can compare notes at the end of the hunt. 

Invokes the old saying "you can lead a horse to water..." you know the rest ?

I really have no problem checking targets with fellow detectorists using different machines.  We used to do that all the time on iffy targets just to get a different opinion of whether we should dig it or not.  Of course, the two of you need to be in close proximity or you really are wasting time.

• Like 1

I just got off the beach with my Eq 800/15 and while listening to my targets, I realized how much more information comes in through the audio.  You hear it hop, skip and bong.  You get it to lock if it is good.  You look at the screen and it is limited to some jumping between IDs but you have to hear it to know what those IDs are really telling you.

The screen you show above would help someone without the ability to hear.  They could use the screen for targets.  I'm glad they are putting a 3030 screen on this one.  This makes the Manticore more than an Equinox upgrade.

• Like 1

Simon said too many tones are not good for him.  I hope the screen resolution is good enough to 'show the tones' which will help separate/discriminate targets.  Once you learn the machine and the same pattern appears on the screen again and again then you have confidence of what it is.

Users have always had negative comments about Minelab's depth scales.  I've found them helpful but I wonder how well this depth scale will work.

• Like 1

yep, I really struggle with 50 tones, DP on my T2 which is full tones had me sitting inside taking headache tablets when I gave it a go. 

I'm a 5 tones kinda person ? I guess you could call me a target ID hunter, as I rely on them the most except for gold which is mostly dig it all.  I don't think I'm very good at finding coins at all, I'm just lucky to be in a place where it's easy with little to no competition and detectors that can by and large identify my deep coins very well.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Clad coins make a sophisticated detector go nuts because of the sandwich effect.  The detector sees the types of metals and sounds off on each.  Now our corroded pennies make combinations and surfaces that defeat easy identification or maybe the 5 tones are better because the 'average' sound can amount to a dime, nickel, penny or quarter like the old White's detector with a pointer on a scale to the likely target with subheadings for other relics.

Most of these Manticores are going to be used at previously worked sites, so much of the trash has been removed unless someone knows a specific site where the trash has been saved.

• Like 1