Sparky Chatter On The Deus 2

JohnnyV

I’m new on the Deus 2 and detecting in general.  Went out with no problems the first several days on some forested areas with no issues, just learning the machine having a good time. Got home (in the country) and I have massive chatter on my machine and the display is constantly throwing inaudible numbers like I’m swinging the coil weather It’s held on the ground on wet lawn or dry sandy terrain or up in the air. I have power lines near my property, but a very country setting with no houses nearby. I’m on all factory settings and haven’t altered any programs. Ground balance hasn’t resolved any of the chatter and wearing the headphones drives my bonkers. I did the update when I first received the Deus 2. Is this machine prone to sparky noise chatter if it’s not used in the woods or wide open spaces?  Any input would be appreciated as I haven’t found a solution online. 

19 minutes ago, JohnnyV said:

Went out with no problems the first several days on some forested areas with no issues, just learning the machine having a good time. Got home (in the country) and I have massive chatter

1. Take the coil cover off and make sure there is no dirt build up, clean well.
2. You are doing a noise cancel channel selection? 
3. Try choosing different hunt modes. [ Try the Beach Dive program] to see if problem persists.
4. Get further away from the powerlines. 

Try lowering the sensitivity on all programs to 80 or so. If that doesn't work and you have done a noise reduction scan, put it in program 7 Deus ll Mono and see if the chatter improves. You might need to adjust the single frequencies. If the chatter is still there both in lower (like 17 kHz) and higher frequencies like 40 kHz you either have some really bad EMI coming from somewhere....phone, wi-fi, power lines, electric fences or nearby first responder/aircraft/military sources or you have something wrong with your Deus 2 somewhere........

Also, outdoor air conditions, heavy duty lights, fluorescent lights, fuse boxes, rheostat switches, generators, electric pumps and many more things can be sources of EMI that sensitive detectors like Deus 2 can pick up as targets.

I would try different locations to see if the pb is specific to EMI at your home ...  Usually the D2 is a stable detector 

6 hours ago, palzynski said:

I would try different locations to see if the pb is specific to EMI at your home ...  Usually the D2 is a stable detector 

Thank you fine sir. I’m definitely jumping the gun, but want to make the most of my opportunities when I do get out, and have as many tools in my belt as possible if the problem persists elsewhere. After watching every video I could find and not finding a similar issue, I decided to request help from the pros on this forum. Thank you again. 

Your description of the problem......

11 hours ago, JohnnyV said:

I have massive chatter on my machine and the display is constantly throwing inaudible numbers like I’m swinging the coil weather It’s held on the ground on wet lawn or dry sandy terrain or up in the air.

especially for detectors that use simultaneous multi frequencies and are extremely sensitive sounds like electro magnetic interference/EMI.  

I can run my Deus 2 in my home or in my backyard BUT I will have to really lower the sensitivity and do several frequency scans. Otherwise, the default 90 to 95 sensitivity levels will pick up huge amounts of EMI with the display literally scrolling through hundreds of numbers per minute along with constant chatter that will make even responses from large coins hard to hear if I am doing indoor testing.

The same thing happens with my Equinox, Legend and especially pulse induction detectors. At my house I can even hear EMI when I turn on my ancient Tesoro single frequency detector if I put discrimination on minimum and turn up the sensitivity.

Thank you Jeff, I have tried some of these suggestions, but not all of them. I will be in multiple locations today in multiple towns, so I will be able to stop and see what’s going on. Thank you for the information, I greatly appreciate it.

You've received some great advice here from folks that know their detectors. As you get to know your detector, you will learn more about what setting to change to get the best use at different locations. Take your time and remember that SMF detectors are very powerful and you dont have to run them at the highest sensitivity for them to work well. Too much sensitivity can be your enemy and sometimes you can't see where the interference is coming from. Even mineralized and polluted ground can cause chatter with too high sensitivity settings. And even rural areas these days are bombarded with microwave and radio transmissions from commercial TV & Radio, and cell phone towers, as well as ham radio operators and government/military installations that can be miles away. Some locations have underground cables that can cause interference. We are surrounded all the time with EMI and metal detectors can easily pick that up. So as the posters have suggested, start with auto frequency shifting (noise cancelling) and reducing sensitivity first to reduce the chatter. That will work best most of the time, and when you get to an area with less intereference you can raise the sensitvity if you need to. Happy Hunting!