11" Coil Battery Issue?

Jed in NC

I'm running my Deus 2 w/11" coil using a program built off of the Beach Sensitive base program. I am also running the antenna, and Grey Ghost wired headphones. I ran this morning for about 4 1/2 to 5 hours. Wanted to go for a quick spin this afternoon, and the coil is dead. I feel like the coil battery life is not as good as when I first got the machine. Does this sound normal, or am I expecting too much out of the coil? Thanks for the input.

Thanks guys, I'll call Monday and see about having it serviced.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing this.  So far, no issues on this end with the 11" coil - I can detect for 3-4 hours and the battery still shows full.  Please let us know about the repair experience if you send it in for repairs.

7 hours ago, ByTheLake said:

Thanks for sharing this.  So far, no issues on this end with the 11" coil - I can detect for 3-4 hours and the battery still shows full.  Please let us know about the repair experience if you send it in for repairs.

Sent the coil to DETECTOR ELECTRONICS CORP. They received it on Monday 10/17, as I was told it may take a week for them to get to it. No update at this point. The coil finally got to where it would not charge at all before I sent it in. Thus far, the return process has gone pretty smoothly, and I have full confidence that they will resolve it. Will update this post when they get it resolved. I'm hunting primarily in salt water, but have been meticulous about cleaning the machine after each use. I did notice a small area that looked pitted on one of the charging contacts before I sent it in. I'm using my Nox 600 right now, but do miss the Deus II.

On 10/21/2022 at 11:08 PM, Jed in NC said:

Sent the coil to DETECTOR ELECTRONICS CORP. They received it on Monday 10/17, as I was told it may take a week for them to get to it. No update at this point. The coil finally got to where it would not charge at all before I sent it in. Thus far, the return process has gone pretty smoothly, and I have full confidence that they will resolve it. Will update this post when they get it resolved. I'm hunting primarily in salt water, but have been meticulous about cleaning the machine after each use. I did notice a small area that looked pitted on one of the charging contacts before I sent it in. I'm using my Nox 600 right now, but do miss the Deus II.

Got a shipping confirmation yesterday that a new 11" coil was shipped and replaced under warranty. That's one week turnaround. I am more than happy with that!

Took the new 11" coil for a spin on the beach yesterday. Hunted about 5 hours and had plenty of battery left on the coil. The small ring and one of the earrings were marked 925. Also set a new record for my largest fish hook to date!

image.thumb.jpeg.c53afd6b468885d80992ddbcd45d45ee.jpeg

image.png

Nice finds! Big hooks catch big fish. 😀

Also leave big holes in bare feet. 😵 

The Ray Bans look to be in pretty good shape.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/21/2022 at 11:08 PM, Jed in NC said:

My 11" coil has also gotten to the point where it won't charge. I tested the pins from the charging clip and I'm getting 5v out. I cleaned the contacts on the coil with Deoxit, tried the pencil eraser, no luck. So I contacted Detector Electronics. The guy that answered my call told me that he has no replacement coils in stock and that I would have to call American Detector Distributors. I called and gave a woman my email address. She sent me a form to fill out and instructed me to email it along with my purchase receipt to another gentleman.

That was earlier yesterday (Black Friday). So far I have not received any reply. 

The charging design is really poor. I never had any charging issues in the 25+ years I owned White's detectors. Now I'm stuck on a nice weather weekend with no detector. I ordered a 9" coil fromAmazon but it won't be here until Wednesday:(