900 Vs Manticore -help?

TroyLPN

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I have been working with, not for, Minelab for over a decade. I have zero fear of them or of speaking my mind as I see fit.

Great attitude.  Don't ever sign their NDA then, Steve.  I would hate to have to make a donation here for an attorney to get you out of trouble.  :smile:

6 minutes ago, PSPR said:

Great attitude.  Don't ever sign their NDA then, Steve.

I've signed plenty of NDAs with plenty of companies, including Minelab. I'm not sure where you are coming from on all this, but not really liking the tone of it, so I'll just leave you all to it now. 

14 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The Manticore directly replaces the E-Trac, which was discontinued in the last year to make way for it. One could make the case that for many people the Manticore is better than the CTX 3030, just like for me the Equinox 800 was a better choice than the my CTX 3030, which I sold immediately on laying hands on the Equinox. The Manticore splits that hair even finer. The CTX 3030 however still remains in the lineup as Minelab's flagship model, and will until something replaces it. Don't hold your breath.

Damn!!  The iron falsing on the Manticore is really worrying to me but if there is no new 3030 I guess I stick with my order.

The person that informed me that there was a new 3030 in the works was the guy that was known as the CTX expert. He told us in his newsletter that he was sending out.

51 minutes ago, FFX2 said:

The ID range on the 800 is very frustrating and actually one of the reasons I got rid of mine.

I guess if you're a relic hunter compressed iron range might not be good? 

However, as a non-ferrous hunter there might be a slight edge to a detector with both compressed ferrous and nonferrous scales. 

29 minutes ago, FFX2 said:

Damn!!  The iron falsing on the Manticore is really worrying to me but if there is no new 3030 I guess I stick with my order.

Heavy iron has never been a Minelab strong point. Yea you can hunt it to some extent. But you have to move slow and spend extra time with each target. Get a Deus 2 if you spend most of your time in trashy iron sites. I almost never hunt trashy ghost towns with my Equinox. The Equinox is reserved for the relics sites I hunt in plowed fields where targets can be anywhere from surface to 12" deep. In that scenario I feel like the Equinox has a slight edge even when there are a lot of targets. The Equinox audio just sounds better IMO. But every man to himself, use the right tool for the job and the one that works for you.

I've used F2-0 ever since that update came out. It was 0 in the original I.B. settings to. I have hunted some 160 year old iron infested sites. I don't live in them though. I don't dig much iron at all, and when I do hunt them I didn't get fooled much. Yeah you got to check more targets, but it does not take long before you get a good grip on what the detector is telling you. As long as I have some clues I'm fine with it. Park2 is my go to in iron. 

3 minutes ago, longbow62 said:

I've used F2-0 ever since that update came out. It was 0 in the original I.B. settings to. I have hunted some 160 year old iron infested sites. I don't live in them though. I don't dig much iron at all, and when I do hunt them I didn't get fooled much. Yeah you got to check more targets, but it does not take long before you get a good grip on what the detector is telling you. As long as I have some clues I'm fine with it. Park2 is my go to in iron. 

Yea I run F2 0 as well, 50 tones, usually park 1 recovery 4, sensitivity as high as I can get it which is usually 25. I have also gotten to the point that I dig very little iron. But that wasn't the case when I first got it. I hated the Equinox and finally forced myself to learn it. The Manticore is going to be no different, spend a good 100 hours or so and those so called false signals will eventually make sense. Manticore still won't be my first choice in heavy iron though. But like I said use what works for you.

The Manticore works fine in nail beds. It’s going to be even better when the small coil becomes available. Spent most of the day hunting an old ghost town. The machine is sensitive and does false a lot but the iron audio works as it should. I hunted mostly like I would with the Nox wide open with iron audio on. When it got to be too much I’d give my ears a break by engaging the disk.  You can’t make a silver coin pop out of the ground where there ain’t one like they are  trying to do on YouTube. The machine is telling you it’s iron...dig it all you want and what you have in your pouch is nails. It’s kinda funny watching these you tubers who think they are the only ones who have to hunt in beds of nails...like houses only burn down where they hunt and no where else lol. Like any machine it will take time to learn... I dug some very deep small rivets today...the manticore  bangs on them loud and clear. 

Strick

50 minutes ago, strick said:

The Manticore works fine in nail beds. It’s going to be even better when the small coil becomes available. Spent most of the day hunting an old ghost town. The machine is sensitive and does false a lot but the iron audio works as it should. I hunted mostly like I would with the Nox wide open with iron audio on. When it got to be too much I’d give my ears a break by engaging the disk.  You can’t make a silver coin pop out of the ground where there ain’t one like they are  trying to do on YouTube. The machine is telling you it’s iron...dig it all you want and what you have in your pouch is nails. It’s kinda funny watching these you tubers who think they are the only ones who have to hunt in beds of nails...like houses only burn down where they hunt and no where else lol. Like any machine it will take time to learn... I dug some very deep small rivets today...the manticore  bangs on them loud and clear. 

Strick

Good info that's what we need real life findings of people hunting in their own ground. Sounds like it's going to be a nice machine to use.