Manticore Coin ID #s

Dug D

I know it's a bit early to be looking for coin IDs, but I can't help myself.  If you create your own chart or find one, we could insert them here for reference.

I have a feeling this will be complicated because different modes seem to shift the scale, and I don't know if its a consistent shift up or down the whole range?

I have seen some testing and the wide scale of VID on the Manticore means most coins have have a 2 or 3 number variation for a specific mintage and of course it changes with different series of the coin. 

The chart below is a start, but where is an indian, compared to a wheat and so on.

It would be really nice if someone had some gold coins to test so I have something to dream about.    

image.thumb.png.e6a9cb4ed5025b919cf9fb1b4fd63b13.png

18 minutes ago, Dug D said:

I know it's a bit early to be looking for coin IDs, but I can't help myself.  If you create your own chart or find one, we could insert them here for reference.

I have a feeling this will be complicated because different modes seem to shift the scale, and I don't know if its a consistent shift up or down the whole range?

I have seen some testing and the wide scale of VID on the Manticore means most coins have have a 2 or 3 number variation for a specific mintage and of course it changes with different series of the coin. 

The chart below is a start, but where is an indian, compared to a wheat and so on.

It would be really nice if someone had some gold coins to test so I have something to dream about.    

image.thumb.png.e6a9cb4ed5025b919cf9fb1b4fd63b13.png

Air tests so not super scientific but this vid will give you some ballpark numbers... 

Here are a few from NASA-Tom:

A new shiny Nickel ID's as '27'..... and will very clearly lock on to 27. A new clad Quarter ID's as '88'...... and does not jump around...... unless it is steeply tilted. A new clad dime ID's as '78'. A silver dime ID's as '80'..... unless it is heavily worn down. These are just a few examples. Magnetite/lateritic iron-oxide dirt will cause ID's to 'up-average'..... to a certain point (depth)...... then at the deeper depths....... ID's will then begin to drop.

Federally minted U.S. Gold Coin ID on Manticore =

$1 Type-1 = 23
$1 Type-2 & 3 = 20
$2.50 Quarter Eagle = 37 & 38
$5.00 Half Eagle = 49-53
$10.00 Eagle = 65
$20.00 Double Eagle = 76, 77, 78

1-Oz .9999 Canadian Mapleleaf = 95

U.S. 3-Cent Nickel = 12-16

The only ID's I care about are the Gold Sovereigns, half and full.  If anyone knows them for the Nox 900 or Manticore that'd be great. 

On the Nox they come in 15 for the half and 18 for the full.

soverigns.jpg.f64385005c6d49af50bce4896a572528.jpg

19 minutes ago, PSPR said:

Magnetite/lateritic iron-oxide dirt will cause ID's to 'up-average'..... to a certain point (depth)...... then at the deeper depths....... ID's will then begin to drop.

Depth and the expanded ID range would haze it up a bit but once you've ran it awhile it should give some confidence in the id's.  By hazing ID's im saying i think you'll see a wider spread on deep or corroded coins "halo'd".

Phrunt i never found a gold coin but your post and the nasa guy's gold coin list made me realize that gold, at least coins have a id number where as jewelry is all over.  thanks 

14 hours ago, PSPR said:

$1 Type-1 = 23
$1 Type-2 & 3 = 20
$5.00 Half Eagle = 49-53
$10.00 Eagle = 65

With all these numbers I will be finding a gold coin on my first day. 😁

Thanks everyone for adding more info. I should find that scatter chart that was done from Strict's finds.

15 hours ago, WalkInH2o said:

Air tests so not super scientific but this vid will give you some ballpark numbers...

No need to apologize for air test VDI's.  Those are the most reliable and repeatable one can get, when done carefully.  Yes, in the ground things may be different, but that's the point -- different for different types of ground (especially as the signal weakens with depth) where there is an infinite number of choices.

I like that video.  I do wish he would have given us a bit more detail on the dates and especially conditions of the coins (in particular) but overall a good expose', IMO.  Here are some notes (including surprises) from it:

1) clad dime vs. silver dime was separated by 5 or 6.  I don't think I'll use that since I dig everything from new Zincoln / early Wheaties and up, but some will.

2) Wheat cent I'm guessing was an early one.  My Christmastime tests last year with the Equinox showed that (well for that detector+6" coil) the later Wheats (WWII and after, for the most part) are similar VDI's to the 95% copper Memorials.  Earlier, ones especially some of the very early (1909 and some 1910's) are noticeably lower.  And prior to WWII, intermediate but close to the later ones.

3) I don't understand why the Barber coins (dime especially but also the quarter) were so much lower than other 90% silver coins.  It's possible if they were very thin from wear that could happen.  (He didn't mention that possibility, I don't think.)

4) He only tested an 88% Cu 12% Ni Indian Head Cent.  I'm curious about the 95% copper (bronze) versions that came later -- some of the 1864's and everything after that.

5) Does the silver 3 cent ('trime') seem low to anyone else?  Again, beware of severe thickness variations.

6) Some older   nickels (25% Ni 5 cent pieces) were a bit lower than I expected.  I'll have to be extra careful with my mental discrimination.  Ring & beavertail (full) pulltab was lower than I expected, too.

7) I don't put too much emphasis on the relics since they likely have a much greater spread in composition.  But I did think his Eagle button was particularly low (35) compared to what I expected (Zinc penny zone), although I haven't found one for a few years.  (I did find a cuff button but I'm guessing his was a coat/shirt more typical size.)

I'm sure I'll do my own air testing when I get my Manticore.  I'll post those results here in a spreadsheet screenshot.  I have just about every USA minted type and version from the Civil War onward, except the gold coins and silver 20 cent piece.  I'll do multiple examples where I have various conditions to see if that may be what's going on with his Barbers, in particular.

20 hours ago, PSPR said:

Here are a few from NASA-Tom:

A new shiny Nickel ID's as '27'..... and will very clearly lock on to 27. A new clad Quarter ID's as '88'...... and does not jump around...... unless it is steeply tilted. A new clad dime ID's as '78'. A silver dime ID's as '80'..... unless it is heavily worn down. These are just a few examples. Magnetite/lateritic iron-oxide dirt will cause ID's to 'up-average'..... to a certain point (depth)...... then at the deeper depths....... ID's will then begin to drop.

$1 Type-1 = 23
$1 Type-2 & 3 = 20
$5.00 Half Eagle = 49-53
$10.00 Eagle = 65

Looking at the gold coins I'm thinking I need to dig everything from 18-80 if I want to find another lol. I've found that the M-Core does not really lock on anything unless its on the surface at least in my ground here in N. Calif.....there is a range of about 2-3 points depending on depth and if there is ferrous around it all bets are off it might start as a 60 when its an 88 out of the ground. I was hoping someone had done the gold coin testing but all it really says is just keep digging everything that hits good. 

strick 

Hi Strict, I wonder if you up the recovery speed if your ID narrows down to just one or two numbers ? 

I know lower RS goes deeper but maybe higher will improve the VID ?