End Of The Year Finds

Looks like people are digging into their coin collections. 🤔 Or someone else is.

Nice sight finds!

Very nice coins and glad that you were able to save them.

Good luck in this new year and stay safe while you are out there.

Nice work. I once found a seated dime in my junk change...dark, discolored and in the roughest shape any seated dime deserves to be in ... you could barely make it out...how it managed to stay in circulation I’ll never know. 

Strick

17 hours ago, strick said:

once found a seated dime in my junk change...dark, discolored and in the roughest shape any seated dime deserves to be in ... you could barely make it out...how it managed to stay in circulation I’ll never know.

Likely out of circulation for a long time and just recently returned.  Reminds me of my early days hoping/trying to find an Indian Head Cent.  (Sorry -- you get a long winded story in response to your simple post.  😁)  And if you stick with it you'll see a connection to Sven's thread-starting post.

Back around 1959-60 I had just started collecting coins -- cents specifically -- at age 6.  I had heard my mom talk about Indian Head cents but all I'd ever seen were Lincolns.  Then in a bank roll I see something I'd never seen.  It looked like an indian warrior with a shaved head.  Kinda mean/serious look on his face.  I told my mom "I found an Indian Head penny!"  She didn't want to ruin my elation but she had to be honest, so she told me.  Well, a picture's worth a thousand words so here is what I had found:

George_VI_cent.thumb.jpg.4eb44d0b51f63dffe79ab78866482a34.jpg

A few years later my uncle (who had introduced me to coin collectiong) gave me a rolls of supposedly unsearched pennies for my birthday.  Within was a damaged 1883 IHC, my first ever.  There were a couple Wheatie keepers in there too, date+mm's that I didn't yet have.  I was pretty young but not so young as to swallow hook, line, and sinker.  My uncle denied salting that roll....  I wish I had asked him years later to fess up, but his heart was in the right place, regardless.

About a month ago I got a chance to ask a much senior cousin (now 87 years old) who had started coin collecting before I did if he remembered either IHC's or Barber coins in circulation.  He said he only got serious about 1955 but never saw either in bank rolls or loose change.

That same uncle who got me started collecting told me that when he was in the service during the Korean War (he never served in that conflict -- mostly stationed in Germany) that he was for a short time stationed in (or maybe just passing through on his way to Europe) Puerto Rico.  He was surprised there to discover most of the silver coinage was Barber (dimes, quarters, halves) and that they were worn quite thin.  He said a roll of those dimes was only about half as long as typical (Mercs and Roosies) in the USA.  So, yes, in the early 50's there were Barbers in circulation, but apparently only in far away locations.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1