Equinox UK Coin Numbers Test And Coil Tests

Nuke em

Late last year i bought another Nox 800. I wanted to use it alongside my Nokta Legend on the beaches.

Then Minelab p!55 me off by bringing out the machine that they should have brought out in the first place. Namely the Nox 900.

So i sold my older of 2 Legends and bought the 900.

It looks the part and i think is improved. Much better built though how long it will last in the hands of people that are going to use it hard is another thing.

Minelab said that the 800 coils would work on the 900 so i put my 800 coil which is used on my 900 and i put the machine in an area that didn't have any EMI to worry about. I switched on and got some UK coins to test on the 900 with the 800 coil on. Sensitivity was at 15 as that was stable and i only wanted to know the numbers that came up.

As said the machine was quiet. I knew it was working as i set a threshold tone. I tried a £2 coin and NOTHING . Tried others , NOTHING. 

The 11 inch coil i put from my Nox 800 does NOT work on the new 900 box. It fits fine and the machine stays on when switched on. But the coil is useless on the 900 . I put the 800 coil back on the 800 and it worked fine without any issues.

I put the 900 coil back on the 900 and that worked without issues.

So what is Minelab playing at ? Do older 600 and 800 coils work or not work on the 700 and 900 or is there something you have to do to set up old coils?

Testing.

Anyway i put the 900 coil back on the 900 and tested the UK coins i wanted to know numbers for.

I have found that the numbers on the Nox 900 are a bit erratic and don't lock onto any particular number for coins. I have seen US testers on YouTube using the 900 and the Manticore and both machines seem to share the same numbers for coins but both machines seem to be erratic on numbers.

I think an update might be needed here to stabilise this issue .

Here are the numbers that i got for UK current coinage.

£2 coin  =  71 +  - 3

£1 coin   =  68 + - 2

50p coin =  36 + - 1

20p coin =  40 + - 1 

10p coin  =  33 + - 1 (older non Ferrous NOT LARGE type) 

5p coin   =   22  + - 1 (older non Ferrous NOT LARGE type)

2p coin   =   86  + - 1 (non Ferrous)

1p  coin   =   77  + - 2 (non Ferrous)

I like it that the numbers are all different for all the different coins. The 800 was a nightmare for target I.D. numbers.

I didn't test Gold or Silver rings or coins as that's not a big deal as i would know what they would come in at knowing where the coins come in at.

The numbers above were constantly erratic and that doesn't happen on the Legend or the Deus 11 .

I like the Nox 900 but i feel there is need for an update here and an answer is needed about the coils too.

The Manticore is the same where it comes to the numbers. Even if i dont have one i have seen videos of this machine and that behaves in a similar manner.

Before i go anywhere near the idea of buying the Manticore late this year i will want to see updates sorting these issues it has. 

Another issue i have seen that worries is the Manticore gives very good numbers for many Iron targets . If there are around 50 Ferrous numbers then why do they come in on the non Ferrous numbers? 

End of rant. But i'm not entirely impressed yet. 

Also i would like to know if anyone knows of any cheaper wireless headphones that would work with the 900 ? There has to be 1 or 2 out there.

I just tried the 800 11 inch coil again and it only gave a spity tone on a large metal safe. Tried a 50p coin , no go.

Both 11 inch coils work on their respective machines. 800 and 900.

Interesting on the 800/900 11” coil swap. We should be hearing from others soon in that regard.

On the more “bouncy” numbers, I guess I'd expect some of that since the 900 scale is basically double the 800 scale. IE a coin that might use 1 or 2 ID numbers might now use 2 or 3 - or 4?

2 hours ago, TedinVT said:

Interesting on the 800/900 11” coil swap. We should be hearing from others soon in that regard.

On the more “bouncy” numbers, I guess I'd expect some of that since the 900 scale is basically double the 800 scale. IE a coin that might use 1 or 2 ID numbers might now use 2 or 3 - or 4?

It may be twice the 800 scale but it should be stable. 

Anyway if i am able i will be on a bit to test in action tomorrow. 

The one thing i did not check was to see if the 900 11 inch coil worked on the 800 . Will check that tomorrow .

I hear that other people have no trouble with their coils but do they have the 2 x 11 inch coils to test?

I went out to a beach yesterday and the 900 works well.

The numbers are a bouncy but are close enough to get an idea.

I found 1 Silver ring, 2 junk rings and £12.15p and €1.30 and 3 fishing weights.

I think the 900 is a very good improvement on the 800.

If anyone knows of the Telenox stem. I think the 900 should have had that type.

It has a grove down the back all the way down so it doesn't spin round when dropping the stems down.

Otherwise very good.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2023 at 8:12 PM, Nuke em said:

It may be twice the 800 scale but it should be stable. 

Anyway if i am able i will be on a bit to test in action tomorrow. 

The one thing i did not check was to see if the 900 11 inch coil worked on the 800 . Will check that tomorrow .

I hear that other people have no trouble with their coils but do they have the 2 x 11 inch coils to test?

I find you posts interesting, would like to hear more from you as you use and gain more experience with the 900. Do you find much improvement to the 800 in regard to performance, separation and tid at depth. Thx for the posts.

2 hours ago, Chesroy said:

I find you posts interesting, would like to hear more from you as you use and gain more experience with the 900. Do you find much improvement to the 800 in regard to performance, separation and tid at depth. Thx for the posts.

It's a better machine than the 800. Similar but the target info is better on the 900.

I will be out on a beach on Friday with the 900.