V1.10 Beta Update Released

JCR

I will be more interested in what the new bottle cap setting can do to break up rotten sheet metal. If nothing else, the Legend's Ferro Check already does an excellent job of telling out most Fe junk.

Like Jeff points out, each person needs to carefully consider their site conditions. A lot of Paystreak's advice would not work well for me.

• Like 3

Yes, Paystreak said something about SMF splitting the power. I could be wrong, but I don't think SMF works that way. In fact, it's very common for end users to notice that SMF gets a little better depth, and better TID than SF.

Jeff made a good point about M3 not being as sensitive to small targets compared to a mid or high weighted SMF mode. It's especially true when it comes to small or deep gold. However, even with gold, M3 may be able to unmask gold targets masked by nonferrous trash, better than the other SMF modes. It would be interesting to see some tests between the SMF modes with a small gold ring beside a pulltab and/or foil. I'll be updating my Legend on Sunday, and will be doing those type of tests 🙂

I just updated my Legend to the latest version and will be testing it in the field this weekend. At the moment it's horrible weather here in Belgium with lots of rain and wind and so the ground is literally soaked.

Sunday I went for a hunt on a grass strip between two fields and tested the 3 multi frequencies. M1 didn't perform really well but was stable, M2 was very noisy and gave a lot of falsing but M3 did the job. The ground was soggy and water even leaked into the pits I digged from the sides. So the claim of Nokta that M3 works well in wet ground? It does! And used that way it's also sensible to the smaller targets. I digged up a small peace of brass, only 5 mm across (1/5th of an inch) from a depth of more than 15 cm. 

Next weekend, I'll be hitting a similar piece of land and the weather will be bad all week long so I'll be testing the M3 again but I also want to see the difference between Park and Field. The ability to filter out bottle caps is interesting but I'll test that one in my garden first to get to know it better. I just wonder if it works on twist tops too?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I am only going to comment on the second video concerning Park M3.

Paysteak is very unique. His advice is also very localized to his hunting area and unique.

If you hunt targets in the air, on styrofoam, on porches, concrete slabs, are only hunting shallower targets or have dirt with absolutely no iron or salt mineralization, a lot of what he said may apply to you as far as choosing a single frequency over one of the three Multi settings in Park mode. I don't hunt in any of those conditions so his advice about frequency use is useless for me.

His commentary had some other very questionable assumptions.

The first is that the transmit and return signals were "penetrating" the foil or gold ring in order to detect the high conductor coin target underneath.

The second is that on the Legend specifically a selection of single frequency will have more power/depth than selecting Multi frequency because that same power/depth potential will be split in half between the two frequencies being used in one of the Legend's Multi settings.

To his credit, he also made some statements that people using version 1.10 software Park M3 need to be very aware of. No doubt, Park M3 will hit very hard on high conductor coins.....sometimes.  Jeremy said that "the size of the coin matters". So does the orientation/profile of the high conductor coin in the ground.

So, a very low weighted frequency combination used in Park M3 will detect some foil targets very poorly depending on their size and orientation. In fact it will detect any target poorly that is very small or is only showing a very small profile to the coil due to orientation in the ground. Micro jewelry, poorly oriented jewelry/coins will be hard to hit with Park M3 whether they have foil near them or not. If they have iron or steel allow targets that are adding to the profile being masked........same problem.

Park M1 with its middle of the road frequency weighting (note that Jeremy was recommending 15 kHz single frequency for general park hunting) is still the best mode for me, for hunting a variety of targets found in most USA parks with modern trash. Park M2 is great for lower conductors, smaller targets and for more trashy/iron mineralized areas that need a little more natural higher frequency weighting separation and Park M3 appears to be excellent for high conductor cherry picking. Its lower frequency weighting may effect its overall depth in my soil conditions.......which has a bit to do with overall power, but has more to do with the size of lower frequency waves themselves versus high iron mineralization.

So, don't take Jeremy's, CD's, TNSS's or my word for anything approaching what your experience may be in your ground conditions. All I personally can tell you is what I experience as tendencies of the Legend where I detect. Learn your Legend on your on and what it can really do.

Yeah, I love PS, but I admit I raised a couple eye brows on some of his comments. I think when he says "penetrating" he wasn't meaning actaully penetrating, he knows better than that. 

And yes, he hunts parks. almost exclusively, so you need to remember where he is coming from. 

Good points Jeff. 

Updated one of my Legends to the 1.10 Beta, tried it out yesterday for abut 30 minutes in my test bed and then again today just to see what a couple of the newly added features do so far I am liking what I am seeing with this new version

I do wish Nokta would have given a little better explanation as to what the GS does or how it affects targets, they do caution using it but do not provide an explanation as to why they caution using the GS, best I can figure is it eliminates some of the ground noise by what little I have tested it on my highly mineralized test bed

Can someone explain when to use this new feature GS (Ground Suppressor)

I installed the V1.10 on my "back up" Legend last night without any trouble. The newest Updater Tool worked great. I have reloaded my settings and will start playing around with it this afternoon.

I will keep my original machine on V1.09 for now

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Digalicious said:

I think you're right D. That is, GS is a filter for unusually high mineralized ground.

How the new Ground Suppression control effects weak targets is what I will be experimenting with. I see using it more on conductive/rusty ground that may or may not have a lot of Mineralization. It should help on weak hot rocks too.  It should enable M2 & M1 to be used instead of having to go to M3 or Beach Mode. I'm not sure yet if it is available in Single kHz or Goldfield. It should function like the Stability control in Beach Mode but instead of filtering Salt response it addresses Ground effect(which is lower down on the scale). How strong the filtering is needs to be known. I don't think it will make you lose "normal" good targets. It is the weak ones being swallowed by the ground that would be effected. It should be a good alternative to balance the detector to conditions along with Sensitivity, Disc & Frequency choice.

21 hours ago, Dirtshark said:

Yeah, I love PS, but I admit I raised a couple eye brows on some of his comments.

I love his video's, they're very entertaining but sometimes I raise an eyebrow or two too 🙂 

Today, I received the booklet "A Beginner's Guide to the Legend" by Clive James Clynick. That book explained a lot more about the Legend than any Youtube video. I can recommend it but keep in mind that however the book claims to handle the version 1.09, it in fact covers version 1.07 and only gives the information about 1.09 that you can find on the Nokta website. But it does give a very good explanation on how a SMF metal detector, and more specific the Legend, works.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HerrUU said:

I love his video's, they're very entertaining but sometimes I raise an eyebrow or two too 🙂 

Today, I received the booklet "A Beginner's Guide to the Legend" by Clive James Clynick. That book explained a lot more about the Legend than any Youtube video. I can recommend it but keep in mind that however the book claims to handle the version 1.09, it in fact covers version 1.07 and only gives the information about 1.09 that you can find on the Nokta website. But it does give a very good explanation on how a SMF metal detector, and more specific the Legend, works.

Clive and Andy both are going to haave to revise their books with these new added features and setting in the 1.10

• Like 1