V1.10 Beta Update Released

JCR

I had a chance to spend a couple of hours this afternoon running thru some of the new features in V1.10.

The Bottle cap setting works very well. I only have a few old rusty ones to test, nothing newer as I'm not much of a Park hunter. I was more interested in how it would effect rusty rotten pieces of can & sheet metal. It works very well on this too. Which Multi you are running has some effect on the best Bc setting. I think I will be sticking around 1 of 8 as it breaks up  or solid Low tones both items. I have my IF set at 2.1. The Ferro Check is the definite confirmation. The setting doesn't seem to effect masking, it just eliminates the false high tone.  Even at higher Bc levels a coin is not masked(2D) until both are less than an each apart. This is with the nose of the 6" coil. On a cross sweep you have to have close to 3" offset to get a one way hit unless you sweep slow like you should in trash. This is with Recovery at 7. I think it is a useful addition.  It is on all the Modes in Multi, including Goldfield.

I didn't notice a lot of change in the Park M3 revision. I think it desensitizes pull tabs next to coins a little better than before and I think M1 is improved too. 4kHz still is the best in Al trash(if not in high mineral dirt}

I will probably have to get on some of my hunting sites to experiment with the Ground Suppression setting. I did see where it is available in the Single frequency selections also.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, JCR said:

I didn't notice a lot of change in the Park M3 revision. I think it desensitizes pull tabs next to coins a little better than before and I think M1 is improved too. 4kHz still is the best in Al trash(if not in high mineral dirt}

Agreed.

4 khz is still the best at ID'ing nonferrous targets in nonferrous trash, but M3 is pretty close, and both are notably better than M1.

The main disadvantage of SF, is the inability to use an adjustable iron bias. However, it's my understanding that SF modes inherently have a low iron bias. It's yet another thing I'll be testing out in my winter off time. All I can do in the winter is performs tests, and incessantly yap about detecting 🙂

On a side note, when the testers were testing the new M3 a few months ago, some found it's weighting to be identical to the MW weighting, but still not quite as good as 4 khz. I and one other tester of that M3 that I'm aware of, requested that the new M3 be weighted even more toward 4 khz. I don't know if that suggestion was implemented, or if the suggestion was even possible. I mean, it's already heavily weighted toward 4, so I'm not sure the engineers could have weighted it even more, before they declared, "Any more weighting toward 4 khz, and you might as well just use 4 khz!" 😁

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Bill (S. CA) said:

Is the BETA version now locked and we should download it as final or is Nokta going to lock this version and remove the "BETA" description?

Didn't I see somewhere that Nokta would be releasing a v1.11 as the final? 

• Like 2

Once the beta testing is done, they're going to release it as v1.11 . 

• Like 1

Anecdotal, but I've been running the 1.10 betas here, exclusively on Park M3 (soil is soggy AF per rain/snow/melt), and it is hitting quite well. Clean signals, minimal chatter close to EMI sources, etc.

Digging the soggy muck, however, is a brand new deal for me. Still yanked out a couple nickels today and a costume necklace on a brief hunt.

Last week, did a 30 minute hunt between errands and 6/8 targets were coins. The two Al results I dug on that hunt were definitely iffy signals -- lots of variation, reading between 11 and 43 depending upon the angle of approach.

I have used the legend a few times now with the new update. The soil is also very wet here so M3 was the best choice. Much more stable than M1 or M2.

On 1/10/2023 at 10:27 AM, Jeff McClendon said:

If you hunt targets in the air, on styrofoam, on porches, concrete slabs, are only hunting shallower targets or have dirt with absolutely no iron or salt mineralization, a lot of what he said may apply to you as far as choosing a single frequency over one of the three Multi settings in Park mode. I don't hunt in any of those conditions so his advice about frequency use is useless for me.

Thank you. Same goes for all the other styrofoam and wood block videos. They really only apply in very low mineral ground, and are very misleading otherwise. You may as well test cars by jacking them up on blocks and taking the tires off. Sure, a dyno test will tell you things about the motor. But all that really matters is when the rubber hits the road, and it takes way more than a dyno test to know what car will win the race. Removing ground from the test removes the absolute most important thing you need to know about any metal detector, which is how it performs in the ground! Results in tests like these can flip 180 degrees once the target is in the ground. So believe what you want about them, but don’t believe they accurately represent actual metal detector performance in real world conditions.

• Like 7