XP Deus II On The Way

Cliff490

Very good choice cliff490 you cant go wrong with the D2 which is an excellent detector ...

I would just suggest to start with the mode nr1 GENERAL which is dedicated to new D2 users . Spend 10 or 15 hours with the GENERAL factory settings ( PWM audio ), then try the SQUARE audio that you may prefer to PWM because it is closer to the MLs audio .

When you are ok with GENERAL you might change for nr2 SENSITIVE which is more reactive and faster in iron trashed areas . 

Of course there are other modes/settings to try when you are more experienced with the detector ... 

Hope that helps ..

• Like 3

I too used ML detectors for years but made the switch to the Deus II and never looked back.  You made a great choice and the advice you've gotten here is spot on.  It won't take you long to feel comfortable with the menu system and the "personality" of the Deus.  The on line videos are a treasure chest of knowledge and Gary Blackwell's are a good place to start.

https://www.youtube.com/user/xpmetaldetector/videos

and

https://www.youtube.com/c/garysdetecting/videos

One other caution I would add, when doing a noise cancel, let it completely finish before hitting any other button as that too caused the remote to lock up.  XP may have corrected this but just be careful.  A lock up happened to me one time and all you need do is keep the remote powered on until it runs down and turns itself off.  Once it does, you can start charging it up, turn it on and things will be fine.

Again, great choice. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Everything you need is in the previous responses. I came from the same boat and have been using the Nox 800 since I got back into detecting a few years ago and love it. In a lot of ways, the Nox prepared me for the next step, which was the D2, and it is a step up. It is way more configurable, so as stated before, keep it simple to start and go with the General program (or one of the Beach programs if you're on the beach) and get out with it as much as you can. You will soon get comfortable with the menu system and really don't need to make too many changes getting started. Just get use to the sound and the feel. This machine has a lot to tell you.

Don't fall into the "try my settings trap". It pays to wait on that until you have a good understanding for what each setting change does and how it affects other settings. Coming from the Nox, it is a bit of a change, but it won't take much time to get use to the D2. The more you use it, the more you will learn it and get comfortable with it.

I've had my D2 for about 9 months now and it still teaches me something new everytime I go out with it and I like that. I've resisted the occasional urges to go back to the comfy ol' Nox while I learn the D2 and it's really paying off and also making me a better detectorist in the process.

I wish you all the best with your new Deus II.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Good LL cliff490. You will Not be disappointed. Good advice given here. Did you mention which coil you got ? I have both but use the 9” mostly. Although for the first few months I only had the 11” and did great with it. The backpack is awesome too. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Cliff490 — congrats on the purchase I am still learning mine.   Dig everything some of the IDs are the same/close enough for some targets.   How can anyone not like the weight.  Lot less weight than my V3i (but still has its place).  Nice break from my heavier machines n larger batteries.  It’s pretty easy to learn just sit down and start playing.  Like  others say every time out is a learning experience.  Love the 280 backpack well worth it I’d recommend that pack to anyone as well as SteveG’s carbon shaft if you want to go that route.

If you do want to try at least one program at first — punch in the SilverSlayer program.  Just remember that is a notched program like others.  I believe there is a link for the video on here so just do a search on it.

Lots of very helpful knowledgeable people on here with great ideas/thoughts as you mentioned.

Looking  forward to seeing your D2 finds post in the near future.

• Like 2