Homemade Stainless Steel Plug Popper

The guys at work had some down time so they welded some scrap together and made these. I asked them to make something that would punch a small plug of sod out of a nicely manicured lawn. Keeping the plug intact so that it could be replaced after the coin is removed. If the coin isn't in the first plug it can be slid out using your foot and a new deeper plug punched out that can be ejected onto a piece of cloth after the item is recovered use the cloth to dump the dirt back in the hole and reinstall the plug. I'm hoping this will be a fast and effective way to detect some of the permissions I have that have well taken care of grass. Haven't tested it yet but I'll let you guys know how it works any suggestions or modifications that you can think of to make it work even better?IMG_6176.jpg.4b70c03dfc66f69547e49ea2d2ceee70.jpgIMG_6177.jpg.68b4ff84a1194f23a448b8a64cd3cbe4.jpg

I should be more clear I have a friend who is a real estate agent he frequently gets me permissions of old houses where the owner has passed away. He gets the permission from next of kin and reassures them that they'll see no Trace that I was ever there. He doesn't mind doing it at all but told me that if anyone ever complains he'll have to stop.Β 

Nice work!Β  I have a hand plugger built by local detecting legend Mike Walding that punches down 10" per punch, pretty much at the end of the detecting depth of a VLF on a coin in most ground. Β 

Β 

Those look nice. To make any second deeper plug it might work well to have the horizontal handle able to slide up the shaft some distance, You could use a keyway or some sort of stop to lock it for rotating the head. Neat tool.

Β  Β Sorta reminds me of the plugger i used to use on the golf course I once worked at! I like it; and possibly even better with the few mods mentioned above!! Nice work!!πŸ€πŸ‘πŸ‘

Some of these were made commercially for detectorists some years back.Β  I recall seeing used ones on Ebay.Β  I also saw a writeup (might have been in a detecting magazine, but maybe just on one of the detecting web forums).

There is a downside for those who are concerned about damaging coins.Β  If the digger hits a coin -- not good.Β  Pretty sure that's one reason why the commercial version never caught on.Β  Obviously might have been other reasons (e.g. poor marketing and/or distribution).Β  IDK.

Very cool design, good job. I would agree that the cutter should be longer, at least 8". The only down side I can see is I couldn't walk into a park where I hunt with a stand-up version like that. It looks too much like a shovel and I'd get kicked out right away.

I hunting buddy of mine has a hand version he bought in the 70s that is 10" long and has two hand grip bars on the top (like where your foot step is) and had a plunger to push the plug back in. It's small enough he can use it in any park without drawing attention. He has worn that thing out but still uses it, so if your work mates make something like that, I'm sure he'd jump on it and I might too.

Β  Β Here's a few similar to yours that I found online! And one hand operated, also seen online !πŸ‘πŸ‘20230209_221348.thumb.jpg.5224d611f9158fc13f74fe5179da9750.jpg20230209_221408.thumb.jpg.0742801e7b650c8530b4940bf27125db.jpg

20230209_221310.jpg