Counterweighting The Deus 2 Shaft For. 11” Or 11”x13” Coils

relicmeister

I have separate shafts for my Deus 2. I have the lightweight shaft for the 9” coil and WS6 master, and I have the Deus 2 shaft for the 11” coil and remote. They both share WSA 2 headphones. 
   The 9” setup is a real featherweight although after a long day swinging I get an ache in my forearm. This is not due to weight but imbalance, but it’s not enough to need a shaft counterweight- although it’s easy to add a few ounces to the arm cuff stand. 
   The 11” w/ remote setup while not heavy  feels much more imbalanced because it is. I therefore decided to add weight to the stand which came in the form of a relic- a lead bar weighing about

8 -10 ounces( Estimated as I don’t have a scale). I just used black gorilla tape to secure it to the stand. I can’t wait to try it out because the difference in comfort is night and day. 

I highly recommend doing this for the 11” coil and absolutely if you use the 11”x13” coil. A simple enhancement can have a great impact.  Your forearm will thank you. 

image.jpg

Good tips Meister. 👍

I simply shorten the SteveG shaft I have until the 13" "floats". You know it when it happens. Maybe his shaft is longer tho, so it might not be possible with the stock shaft.

Just for those who may be interested, relicmeister is right, which is why I do offer the option of making my carbon-fiber D2 shafts "counterweight-ready," for anyone interested.  Generally, the 4 1/2" counterweight is what I suggest for the D2.  This counterweight maxes out at 17 oz. -- more than needed for the 11", but in the ballpark for what some may find comfortable for the 13".  Of course, the weight inside can be adjusted, by removing one of the two weight bags (one weighs 8 oz. and one 4 oz.)  I suggest trying just the 4 oz. bag first, when swinging the lighter 11" coil.  That would be a total of about 9 oz. weight (given the 5 oz. weight of the empty tube).  If that feels a bit insufficient, the 4 oz. can be swapped with the 8 oz., bumping it up to 13 total ounces -- which should be PLENTY for the 11" coil.

Steve

Although not immediately, i have been tempted and am seriously considering your ( Steve g.) shaft system for all Deus 2 configurations. It does appear to be the ultimate as pointed out by F350Platinum in his review. Currently the Deus 2 with 9” & 11” coils and remote or option to use WS6 as master with WSA2 phones is the only detector I have. 

I run the larger coils on Steve's rig, and the 9" with the WS6 Master on the stock shaft. Really the 13" is the resident coil, with the 11" for backup. Stuff happens.

Steve's creation is extremely rigid and strong, and the locking device for the remote is much higher quality than others. I use it with confidence in stubbly fields and in the water. Love the camlocks. 👍

I'd like to see an even more compact setup and possibly the ability to use it as a standard "S" shaft or a straight one interchangeably. 🙂 The need for that would probably not be a big one, but I'm intrigued. 🤔

The lighter weight s-shaft ( Orx shaft) with 9” coil and WS6 master is pretty darn light and compact and i have the remote with the 11” on the stock Deus 2 shaft and the ( sloppy)  3-D printed remote lock. I don’t use either in the water so they work well enough though I’m still tempted to get Steve’s setup. For an actual second detector my dealer has agreed to let me reinstate my order for a Legend Pro pack at $509 and I’d also grab a 9” x 6” elliptical coil which I  is my favorite coil size. I hear so many praises for the Legend and while I like what I see with the Quest V80 it’s up there in price and I’m not wild about buying a major Chinese product. 
  Am I right F350 that you have a legend? If so do you like it particularly on relic hunting?

33 minutes ago, relicmeister said:

Am I right F350 that you have a legend? If so do you like it particularly on relic hunting?

Sorry Meister, I don't have a Legend. 

I do have an Equinox 600, it's how I cut my teeth detecting. Bought the Deus 2 last February, really started using it later in the year, then I put the WS6 Master together.

The Legend seems like a great detector, but I'm perfectly happy with my 3 machines now 😀 I beach and yard hunt from April to September, and Relic hunt from October to May.

I am also interested in the Quest V80, but it's really going to have to be a killer machine. Thus far the D2 has done so well for me I can't see learning another detector. 🙂

On 2/27/2023 at 5:04 AM, relicmeister said:

Although not immediately, i have been tempted and am seriously considering your ( Steve g.) shaft system for all Deus 2 configurations. It does appear to be the ultimate as pointed out by F350Platinum in his review. Currently the Deus 2 with 9” & 11” coils and remote or option to use WS6 as master with WSA2 phones is the only detector I have. 

relicmeister, I'd obviously be glad to help, if at some point you wish to consider.

Thanks!

Steve

The counterweight definitely helps with the 11” and 11x13” coils.  I got a custom straight shaft for my Deus 2 from Steve with the counterweight option.  I have the 9”and 11” coils.  The 9”coil is fine without the counterweight.  I tried the 11” coil both without and with the counterweight.  The counterweight definitely makes a big difference for me with the 11” coil. I am using a total counterweight of 13 oz..

Steelheader,

Thanks for providing that information!

Steve