Beach Guys> Beach Low Conductor

midalake

On 2/26/2023 at 5:39 PM, TampaBayBrad said:

I'm a low conductor guy just because that's what Tom says he uses.

I've not tested different modes on rings on my beaches, but I think they are pretty much the same on the east coast of Florida where he hunts as my west coast of Florida. And I'm sure he has tested them all, so I'll go with that!

I tried  Tom's set up in fresh it was  prettty impressive.

cjc

• Like 1

Went to the beach yesterday and hunted for a while in beach deep. Everything was sanded in and also battling red tide irritation... few targets were to be found. I did cross check with the low conductors and found the response to have a sharper audio than deep. But I am able to hunt the deep mode in a higher sensitivity by about 2 more numbers. The jury is still out until I can do more testing.

1 hour ago, okara gold said:

But I am able to hunt the deep mode in a higher sensitivity by about 2 more numbers. The jury is still out until I can do more testing.

Our testing was done in both modes at 22, where we felt that you could run properly on the wet sand [here]
Even then Beach Deep stomped low conductor on the test. If you can actually run two points higher sensitivity in your location. Beach Deep will be a no brainer!  

• Like 1

Probably going to depend on whether or not your beach has black sand or not as to which mode is better. At the GSL there is a gray layer at about the 10-12" mark that is very mineralized and I think that is why beach deep does a littler better for me than beach low conductor.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/2/2023 at 10:11 AM, abenson said:

I think that is why beach deep does a littler better for me than beach low conductor.

UPDATE> Had the Manticore here for another 5 days. Could not get one gold test in low conductor to outperform Sea Water or Beach Deep.

Just dumbfounded. :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, midalake said:

UPDATE> Had the Manticore here for another 5 days. Could not get one gold test in low conductor to outperform Sea Water or Beach Deep.

Just dumbfounded. :unsure:

Do you have a youtube channel? Was wondering if you're posting videos of your tests. Thanks....

34 minutes ago, TampaBayBrad said:

Do you have a youtube channel? Was wondering if you're posting videos of your tests. Thanks....

No YouTube for me. Easy tests to do for anyone.
We could not get any type of gold [chains or rings] to perform better. Kept huntable sensitivity settings between 20-22 in all modes depending on what part of the beach we were hunting. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, midalake said:

I'm curious as to whether you used default settings (particularly recovery speed values) on each of these.  Here's a screenshot from the manual (p. 78) of defaults:

Screenshotat2023-03-20142338.png.8c3b9e8317e829dc721e72a6ccc03001.png

Screenshotat2023-03-20143255.png.8cdd7003ace58070094b0268e511a90a.png

(Sorry but I don't know how to rearrange/combine .png files. These are the row headings for the first chart.)

One thing we don't know yet (AFAIK) but hopefully will soon is what frequencies are being transmitted in each submode.  What we'll never know (because only ML knows and if the Equinox is any indication) is what the weighting of those frequencies is during the (post reception) signal processing.  Although we'd like to think that there are different frequencies processed for 'Low Conductors', for example, compared to 'General', etc., unless we can see different transmitted frequencies I think we'll just have to continue to speculate until we're blue in the face.

There were certainly indications for the Equinox 800 that *some of* the differences between submodes were simply different default settings, not different frequency weighting.  But I don't think that info came directly from Minelab although I certainly could be wrong on that.

5 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I'm curious as to whether you used default settings (particularly recovery speed values) on each of these.

First 5 days all tests were done in factory settings.

Next 5 days were done with custom settings. However the custom settings remained consistent between the three choices. 

Testing was done with recovery speeds in 4,5 and 6

Sensitivity was chosen in a practical huntable amount for this location. Between 20-22 for all modes. As to not skew any one choice. Example: if we could hunt at 20 comfortably in low conductor that is where the testing was done. Likewise, if 22 was comfortable to hunt in Sea Water that is where the testing was done.  

• Like 2