Questions About Gold Acid Tests And A Diamond Tester

Hello.

I finally got around to getting an acid test kit and a diamond tester. Here's my questions:

1) One of my rings looks to be marked 10k or 18k. It's hard to say because only about the top 1/3 of the second digit is visible. It passes the 10k and 14k test, but fails the 18k test. Any idea what's up with that?

2) The same ring has 3 small (what appear to be) diamonds. The diamond tester shows them as real diamonds, but is there not a type of synthetic diamond that will pass the diamond test? The link to the diamond tester I used is below.

3) If my cheap diamond tester can give a false positive, by what means do I find out if it's a real diamond or synthetic?

4) I'm cashing in on the gold and diamonds. I'll be sending the gold to a refinery, so if you have any tips about that, please let me know.

5) What do you do with the diamonds, and how the heck do you remove them from the ring?

Thanks for reading this. I'm looking forward to the replies.

Here's the cheapo diamond tester I used:

https://www.amazon.com/Accuracy-Environmental-Protection-Professional-Conductivity/dp/B09W4YR5K8/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3TLT8FUYEVW3V&keywords=diamond%2Bselector%2Bii&qid=1681929497&sprefix=diamon%2Bselector%2BII%2Caps%2C139&sr=8-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFEQVMyRFowQkJUVVYmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA2OTk5MzAyRkFZNlJBMEFUMU9LJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA3MzUyODAzOEZVUVhLVkpBN0FWJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

I'll add one more:

Is the gold acid test simply a surface test?  I.e. can the acid test distinguish between plated and solid gold alloy?

13 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

I'll add one more:

Is the gold acid test simply a surface test?  I.e. can the acid test distinguish between plated and solid gold alloy?

Ha ha.

That was one of my questions that I forgot to ask 🙂

There are two gold refineries that currently have a good reputation. ARA in Dallas, and Midwest Refineries up in Wisc or Mich, I believe. Both have been paying 90 % + for gold and a little less for silver. I used ARA a few years ago and was pleased and plan to use them within the next week or so. When I last used them they removed the stones and returned them to me. Not being a water hunter, I don't find many gold rings with diamonds. I find mostly mens bands and class rings. I have not had good luck with gold and silver testing kits. The solutions seem to deteriorate with age rather quickly. I've worked up a relationship with a jewelry store that tests jewelry free for me. I toss him a bone now and then and sell him a piece at his low price compared to the refineries. Good luck! HH jim tn

I'll take a shot at #2 and 3 above Dig, yes there is a certain type of "synthetic" diamond called a Moissanite that will "fool" this type of cheap diamond tester, I have a similar tester to yours. My wife has some of these lab created diamonds so I can use them for control along with the real one she gave me in my wedding ring, and hers of course. At least CZ's, rhinestones, and Swarovski stuff will test as not diamonds.

It's also kind of tough to miss the metal next to a really tiny stone which can give you inaccurate results.

I've found that when in doubt I'll visit a jeweler, some are intrigued by detectorist finds and will often evaluate something for free. Of course it doesn't hurt to snag a charm or some trinket for your wife while you're there 😏

Thank you for the replies.

Jim,

I was concerned about the acid test accuracy as well, but apparently, even retail buyers of gold use this test. In addition, I did start by using a 14k and 18k ring as a control test and for practice. It turned out the test was very accurate and rather simple to do. I will keep a couple of control rings to use a control test before testing, just to make sure the acid hasn't lost its potency.

F350,

Ah yes. It was that pesky Moissanite that I recall being mentioned previously. Although, I'm sure that with a quick look using a good magnifier, a jeweler can tell the difference between a real diamond and Moissanite. It can't be that hard to learn what they're looking for, so I'll Google that.

But, ya, it's probably a good idea to use a jeweler as confirmation. Although, I won't be snagging a charm or trinket for wifey when at the jewelers. She already snags enough of my finds as it is! 😄

12 hours ago, Digalicious said:

I'm sure that with a quick look using a good magnifier, a jeweler can tell the difference between a real diamond and Moissanite.

Newer diamonds have laser etched identifying marks, even serial numbers. I went to Jared. 🤣

If you don't know the joke that's a big jewelry store in VA. They told us how they do it. But yeah, it's pretty hard to tell. Moissanites are like a 9.5 on the hardness scale, diamonds are a 10.

On 4/19/2023 at 3:46 PM, GB_Amateur said:

I'll add one more:

I just realized something. The rings are going to be melted anyway, so I can just cut the ring with side cutters to see if it's plated or not. DOH!

42 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Newer diamonds have laser etched identifying marks, even serial numbers. I went to Jared. 🤣

If you don't know the joke that's a big jewelry store in VA. They told us how they do it. But yeah, it's pretty hard to tell. Moissanites are like a 9.5 on the hardness scale, diamonds are a 10.

So do real diamonds and Moissanites have the same value? 

30 minutes ago, Digalicious said:

So do real diamonds and Moissanites have the same value? 

My wife says a 1 carat diamond would be $4,000, and a 1 carat Moissanite would be $1-2000. About half to one fourth. They're not cheap.