6 Tone Vs 60 Tone Vs Pitch

1 minute ago, Jeff McClendon said:

The statement you quoted me on was about telling the difference between ferrous/non-ferrous using Pitch tones. 

I did not make any definitive claim about telling the difference between a coin and aluminum trash using Pitch tones and I am not going to either.

I totally understand what I quoted you on this was a separate question 

I respect your decision not to make any claims if you don’t want to I’m just trying to learn and see if there was anything I can be listening for other than just ferrous and nonferrous. Thank you for your time 🙏🏻

48 minutes ago, JohnnyDigs said:

I respect your decision not to make any claims if you don’t want to I’m just trying to learn and see if there was anything I can be listening for other than just ferrous and nonferrous. Thank you for your time 🙏🏻

As Jeff stated and also implied, it's not something you can really describe or put into words in terms of tonal nuances.  It is very subtle and far from foolproof.  The best you can do is just get out there dig everything to train your brain on what does and doesn't sound like probable junk until it becomes something you don't consciously think about you just react based on experience and what you are hearing and seeing.  At this point, you simply need to rack up swing hours and target recoveries and recognize you are just always going to dig a lot more trash than treasure (set realistic expectations) but that with time you will learn how to make good dig decisions and will dig higher percentages of good targets.

7 hours ago, JohnnyDigs said:

You asked for some more hints so here are a few.

Practice a lot on the coins that you can find in your area. Learn their target IDs well. Learn the target IDs of the aluminum trash in your area and by that I mean the regularly shaped trash like the wide variety of pull tabs, small and large aluminum screw caps. Forget about learning random aluminum canslaw and foil wrapper trash. It sounds so good that you will dig it if you are going after good targets like gold jewerly or bullets that share target IDs with all of that aluminum.  Concentrate on the regularly shaped common targets like coins, gold and silver rings ( if you have any) and pull tabs and learn how the sound of these rounded solid objects starts, stops and the length of the silence in between along with whether they sound hard edged or kind of soft edged, elongated and squishy. Practice with the coil swinging right over them (double and triple beeping) and then with the coil farther away so that there is only a single beep with each directional swing. Also practice with the outer edges of the coil too and see if you hear a difference.

3 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

You asked for some more hints so here are a few.

Practice a lot on the coins that you can find in your area. Learn their target IDs well. Learn the target IDs of the aluminum trash in your area and by that I mean the regularly shaped trash like the wide variety of pull tabs, small and large aluminum screw caps. Forget about learning random aluminum canslaw and foil wrapper trash. It sounds so good that you will dig it if you are going after good targets like gold jewerly or bullets that share target IDs with all of that aluminum.  Concentrate on the regularly shaped common targets like coins, gold and silver rings ( if you have any) and pull tabs and learn how the sound of these rounded solid objects starts, stops and the length of the silence in between along with whether they sound hard edged or kind of soft edged, elongated and squishy. Practice with the coil swinging right over them (double and triple beeping) and then with the coil farther away so that there is only a single beep with each directional swing. Also practice with the outer edges of the coil too and see if you hear a difference.

Thank you

• 4 weeks later...

My understanding is that they are very similar. DP on Minelabs is said to be the  most sensitive to faint targets. I have not been able to see that on the Legend’s Pitch vs the other tone choices. I usually run in 60 tone. For me Pitch is a special circumstance option.

Both tone and pitch audio have their advantages