Quiet Here? V1.1>>?

midalake

I went back to .71 and will likely stay there. I'm just not a fan of the new TID scale. Spent a year and a half getting familiar with how the D2 TID was normalized between programs and learning where/how everything reads, so having to start all over again just wasn't appealing to me.

I got out with 1.1 over the weekend for a bit. I went to a foundation that I’ve hunted many times so I could play with some settings on familiar ground. Overall I’m quite happy with is so far, but I really haven’t got to run it enough yet to comment on anything specific.  

2 hours ago, Rattlehead said:

I went back to .71 and will likely stay there. I'm just not a fan of the new TID scale. Spent a year and a half getting familiar with how the D2 TID was normalized between programs and learning where/how everything reads, so having to start all over again just wasn't appealing to me.

what specifically? i did notice they brought the scale down a little on higher conductors which is a good thing. before the update, quarters and halves were about the same. now halves are 2 or 3 numbers higher.

13 minutes ago, Cheddar said:

what specifically? i did notice they brought the scale down a little on higher conductors which is a good thing. before the update, quarters and halves were about the same. now halves are 2 or 3 numbers higher.

Depends on the program, but for example, I noticed that in Fast, quarters were reading around 92-94 (usually 94-96), dimes and pennies both reading lower as well. In other programs, nickels are reading a couple of notches lower than before. Same goes for IHPs, minieballs, etc. Doesn't really matter to me if halves read the same as quarters since I'd be digging anything reading that high anyway.

This probably isn't that big a deal to most and maybe I'm just lazy, but I've spent a lot of time getting used to where everything reads, and don't like the idea of having to re-adjust to changes. .71 has been working just fine for me, so the way I see it, if it's not broke, why fix it?

The additional features in 1.0/1.1 are fine, but I'd likely never use them anyway. Audio Filter for example, does make deeper non-ferrous targets sound better. However, from what I saw, it also makes iron sound better.

32 minutes ago, Rattlehead said:

The additional features in 1.0/1.1 are fine, but I'd likely never use them anyway. Audio Filter for example, does make deeper non-ferrous targets sound better. However, from what I saw, it also makes iron sound better.

There's now a learning curve on dialing in Audio Filter and Silencer to attempt to optimize better sounding deep non-ferrous while eliminating iron falsing. (highly soil dependent).  But that time investment has to matter to each individual.  If someone is basically happy with 0.71 (and frankly I was myself), then no need to learn the "new" machine.  Totally get that.  Going to spend my summer refining 1.1 on the (dry) beach and parks so I'm good to go when my true passion, relic detecting, picks up again in the fall.  I like and prefer the spread out TIDs and will also commit that to muscle memory this summer, but basically, when relic hunting, I'm digging everything over 40 (and investigating big iron) regardless of TID.

31 minutes ago, Rattlehead said:

Depends on the program, but for example, I noticed that in Fast, quarters were reading around 92-94 (usually 94-96), dimes and pennies both reading lower as well. In other programs, nickels are reading a couple of notches lower than before. Same goes for IHPs, minieballs, etc. Doesn't really matter to me if halves read the same as quarters since I'd be digging anything reading that high anyway.

This probably isn't that big a deal to most and maybe I'm just lazy, but I've spent a lot of time getting used to where everything reads, and don't like the idea of having to re-adjust to changes. .71 has been working just fine for me, so the way I see it, if it's not broke, why fix it?

I get that, and there's a lot to be said for being comfortable with your detector. But for me, the High Sqr audio and Max Frequency settings are a game changer so I'm willing to take a step back and learn all the new ins and outs just to have those two features. IMHO V1.0 had a few too agressive changes to try and satisfy everybody, which can't be done anyway. V1.1 seems to have dialed that back a bit and now, at least with my first four hunts with 1.1, it seems like a much more enhanced version of V0.71.

One thing I'm learning is that this (and V1.0) made the D2 a much hotter running machine, and specially the Audio Response and Silencer and added features like Audio Filter and FT Offset to give even more control and I haven't even started to explore those changes yet. I can say it has helped to go with the stock Audio Response setting of 4 (and even 3 in some cases) and I start hunting with Silencer of 0 and raise it becomes necessary to tame the iron, which is usually not above 2 in my hot iron dirt. Silencer settings 0-2 are more gradual filtering like in V0.71 and 3-7 are more beefed up settings ala V1.0.

Dialing back just Audio Response and Silencer have made my D2 much more responsive in my mineralized soil and iron filled dump sites and, IMHO, separate and unmask better. Running the machine too hot in my conditions just causes too much blow back, so at this point in my new learning curve, less is more.

18 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

There's now a learning curve on dialing in Audio Filter and Silencer to attempt to optimize better sounding deep non-ferrous while eliminating iron falsing. (highly soil dependent).  But that time investment has to matter to each individual.  If someone is basically happy with 0.71 (and frankly I was myself), then no need to learn the "new" machine.  Totally get that.  Going to spend my summer refining 1.1 on the (dry) beach and parks so I'm good to go when my true passion, relic detecting, picks up again in the fall.  I like and prefer the spread out TIDs and will also commit that to muscle memory this summer, but basically, when relic hunting, I'm digging everything over 40 (and investigating big iron) regardless of TID.

14 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

I get that, and there's a lot to be said for being comfortable with your detector. But for me, the High Sqr audio and Max Frequency settings are a game changer so I'm willing to take a step back and learn all the new ins and outs just to have those two features. IMHO V1.0 had a few too agressive changes to try and satisfy everybody, which can't be done anyway. V1.1 seems to have dialed that back a bit and now, at least with my first four hunts with 1.1, it seems like a much more enhanced version of V0.71.

One thing I'm learning is that this (and V1.0) made the D2 a much hotter running machine, and specially the Audio Response and Silencer and added features like Audio Filter and FT Offset to give even more control and I haven't even started to explore those changes yet. I can say it has helped to go with the stock Audio Response setting of 4 (and even 3 in some cases) and I start hunting with Silencer of 0 and raise it becomes necessary to tame the iron, which is usually not above 2 in my hot iron dirt. Silencer settings 0-2 are more gradual filtering like in V0.71 and 3-7 are more beefed up settings ala V1.0.

Dialing back just Audio Response and Silencer have made my D2 much more responsive in my mineralized soil and iron filled dump sites and, IMHO, separate and unmask better. Running the machine too hot in my conditions just causes too much blow back, so at this point in my new learning curve, less is more.

That makes perfect sense for anyone who does a lot of relic or jewelry hunting. 90% of my time is spent coin shooting with a lot of notch. I can see where the spread ID and additional features could be more beneficial to those who relic hunt. Especially the ability to use offset-FT to separate the pitch of low conductors from iron.

Speaking of relic hunting... I did score a really neat relic over the weekend. A brass boot spur! I had found plenty of pieces in the past, but never a whole one.

1 minute ago, Rattlehead said:

Speaking of relic hunting... I did score a really neat relic over the weekend. A brass boot spur! I had found plenty of pieces in the past, but never a whole one.

That's excellent, congrats!

1 hour ago, Rattlehead said:

My thoughts exactly Don.