Manticore Software Update - Available Now!

I was already on the road and detecting when I "heard it here first" on the update.  Got home a couple hours ago and have only just installed the update.  Two thumbs up for the update install process though.  Went off without a hitch.  I've seen enough botched update installs of all sorts, and it's kind of the business I am in, I appreciate a silky smooth update.

- Dave

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've seen plenty of older Mac users having problems with the update, I don't think another cable is going to help unfortunately, you may need to find someone with a modern computer to do it for you.  Windows 10 and 11 machines seem to work perfectly, a few Maccers have had problems, especially older models.

On 6/15/2023 at 5:45 PM, TampaBayBrad said:

That's what I said too. But if I do decide to download the update, I will try the red #'s and see if I like it or if it annoys me since I'm already used to the red line.

It actually is annoying but has  the potential of giving non-ferrous alerts in dense iron in that we now have a positive and a negative.   Hate to say it but any keen "studen't of the game" shoudln't need a flashing red light to tell iron.  😆

cjc

He has stated he has been a UK tester and been heavily invoved in the new update. So you might find this worth a look ?

Updated the software on both the M-core and the headphones. It was super easy, even for a technologically challenged guy like me 🙂

Yesterday, I took my updated Manticore to a heavily worked area and managed to pull out this Mercury dime. Been to this site a few times over the past couple of months and this is the first silver.

Did the update seem better to me? I dug less iron during yesterdays outing. Based on my one time use with the new update, I do feel that it performs better.

Will be heading to the Kenai Peninsula in a few weeks and will be putting it to use looking for those elusive gold nuggets. 

Happy hunting!

John 

1944 Mercury Dime.jpg

After a little time playing with the update I am left scratching my head. I have been using the enhanced tones for most of my hunting, but the stabilizer function seems to change the audio back to normal (louder) and does provide a noticeably broken signal crossing nails.  But in my nail infested side yard where I have a couple coins buried I could not seem to improve the detectability of the flat coins that I have at 6 inches.  (I have had good dig jumpy signals at 8-9 inches quite a few times for wheat pennies in cleaner ground)

I tried quite a few setting changes and I have to admit there is a difference in the sound, but the best dig signals came from no stabilizing filter and AT low conductors ?  

The red numbers can be nice, but they add to the confusion when you see as many red numbers as black while swinging over where you have a coin buried.  (next time out I am raising my upper iron limit even higher to see if some deep coins are showing up as iron and deserve extra investigation)

If there was some intention to reduce the jumpy ID numbers I could not see it, my nickel varied from 18 to 40,  dime mid 60s to 82.  Easy targets have a lot less range, but I didn't buy a Manticore to dig 2 and 3 inch clad. 

My parks have quite a few deep square nails and I hope to test the update there soon, hopefully a little magic happens and those iffy signals from deep square nails sound so bad that I am not tempted and my first dig is a good target. 

The detector seems to have the power, and I have dug quite a few targets that were passed over by others so I know it is very close, maybe its processor is just a little to fast so each swing over a target generates 4 ID numbers when we only need 2 ?  

14 hours ago, Dug D said:

I tried quite a few setting changes and I have to admit there is a difference in the sound, but the best dig signals came from no stabilizing filter and AT low conductors?

(Note; I've yet to install nor read the new manual, not over concern but just being busy....)  But you can still completely turn off the iron stabilizer feature -- effectively reverting back to pre-update?

14 hours ago, Dug D said:

The red numbers can be nice, but they add to the confusion when you see as many red numbers as black while swinging over where you have a coin buried.

Is there a way to turn that new feature off, too??

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

(Note; I've yet to install nor read the new manual, not over concern but just being busy....)  But you can still completely turn off the iron stabilizer feature -- effectively reverting back to pre-update?

Is there a way to turn that new feature off, too??

Yes and Yes 🙂

Yes turning the feature on and off as well as adjusting the range is easy. I figured I had a good test situation so I tried all the search modes with it on and off and changing the range.  For what I was swinging over the filter was not helping, but I'm sure it can help in the right place, maybe those square nails bent like a horse shoe. 

I don't think turning off the stabilizing filter negates the update, in fact with the update I seemed to detect my difficult coins just a little better/consistently than I did before the update, with the filter turned off. 

With that thought in mind I can't wait to get some more time in.