Anybody Seeing Depth Issues With The Manticore Update?

15 hours ago, phrunt said:

Minelab rarely ever apologise for their mistakes, I'm still waiting for the apology that they released the Pro-Find 35. 🙂

What's the issue with the Pro-Find 35? I bought one but have only used it once.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, KDX said:

What's the issue with the Pro-Find 35? I bought one but have only used it once.

Instability at high sensitivity, now that I would completely understand and not consider an issue however it needs to run at high sensitivity to even come close to keeping up to the competitors pin pointers that do run stable at high sensitivity, if you run it at a stable setting, it's left far behind on depth and sensitivity.

It has a notoriously high failure rate too.

In saying all of that some people report theirs runs fine in high sensitivity and they like it, so perhaps its inconsistency in builds, I've had two and both worked or should I say not worked the same.  Turn yours on and move it around upside down and around and around, does it go off or run stable? If it runs stable, you're in luck I would think.  If the Pro-Find 45 is a 35 with the stability and quality problems solved and increased sensitivity like they say it should be a pretty good pinpointer.

Thanks for the reply. I saw a "tips" video that suggested ground balancing it when it is turned on (tip into the dirt away from metal when turned on). Would this help the instability? I haven't tried that (or your suggestion) yet.

6 minutes ago, KDX said:

Thanks for the reply. I saw a "tips" video that suggested ground balancing it when it is turned on (tip into the dirt away from metal when turned on). Would this help the instability? I haven't tried that (or your suggestion) yet.

Yes, it does like to be ground balanced even in mild soils for best results, although this doesn't resolve the stability problem say for example if you're in high sensitivity and you put the pointer to the ground, turn it on to balance it and snoop around for the coin, remove the pinpointer from the hole, sit it down still turned on and dig a little more and place it back into the hole it can then be unstable, so you have to re-ground balance.  In anything other than highest sensitivity it seems fine, so you can just run it lower sensitivity and it be stable.  They claim they've resolved this on the new 45 version.  It can just be frustrating to use when other options just work without the annoyance of the instability.    You may find yours is just fine for your needs, only one way to find out 🙂

I've had an old Garret pin-pointer until it started to go unstable, then I bought an F-Pulse which turned out to be a complete nightmare, unstable, hard to use "tone - function selection" menu, finally locked up and would not reset, then I got the Profind-35 which turned out to be brilliant. Simple to use, separate + & - buttons to change the sensitivity, very stable, even the speaker opening on the reverse was useful cause I could mute it with my finger, and the Iron tone function that I thought would be pointless (as if you get that close to an object you may well as dig it out) was useful in archaeological situations to quickly confirm if finds were Iron. So I think it is a lottery whatever model that you get a good un.

So, depth issues to date:  

1: Even though sensitivity is at 18 or less, I'm still detecting old pull tabs, can slaw at 10" - 12". Have yet to find jewelry at that depth in parks. Though I  have pulled silver coins at that depth.

2: Too high of sensitivity creates too many eddy currents or feed back to be useful in target ID.

3: Soil mineralization creates a lot of feed back.  Stabilizer sometimes helps in getting falsing removed.

4: Manticore detects way deeper then Equinox ever did... 😁