Anybody Seeing Depth Issues With The Manticore Update?

Updated the Manticore a few days ago and took it out today for a few hours. After a while I noticed I wasn't digging anything very deep. So I burned a zincoln penny in my 4 bar dirt at 5" and it was nothing  but iron grunts in all programs but prospecting. Changed every setting I could think of and ground balanced a bunch. But still no depth.

Pulled out the 900 and the Deus 2 and they both hit it just fine. Dug down to 7 inches and buried the penny, D2 and 900 still picked it up but the Manticore was now completely silent.

Maybe a download gone bad or just a bad update in general, IDK. could be linked to my bad dirt. Going to go back to the previous version tomorrow and do some depth tests and then update to the latest version and depth test again.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, abenson said:

Updated the Manticore a few days ago and took it out today for a few hours. After a while I noticed I wasn't digging anything very deep. So I burned a zincoln penny in my 4 bar dirt at 5" and it was nothing  but iron grunts in all programs but prospecting. Changed every setting I could think of and ground balanced a bunch. But still no depth.

Pulled out the 900 and the Deus 2 and they both hit it just fine. Dug down to 7 inches and buried the penny, D2 and 900 still picked it up but the Manticore was now completely silent.

Maybe a download gone bad or just a bad update in general, IDK. could be linked to my bad dirt. Going to go back to the previous version tomorrow and do some depth tests and then update to the latest version and depth test again.

Let us know the results you get.-----Would be most interested to hear how your tests turn out.

Maybe try a factory reset, not sure if a lingering setting maybe the problem, I certainly don't have depth issues after the update.

I've noticed some different behavior of the detector with the new update.  My hunting environment is in the woods at 1700-1800 home sites, low to medium mineralized soil. So far I've mostly been using AT-LC and it doesn't seem as noisy any more in the iron.  With the prior version it would hit on the iron constantly and false alot, the new version it doesn't false as much even when not using the stabilizer.  Im even able to run it at higher sensitivity without it chattering from EMI.

I've only been out with it twice since updating it so I'm not sure if it's experiencing any depth loss.    I'll have to test it some more at home today.

Anybody know how to go back a version on the Manticore software? Only gives the option to update to the newest version and tells me I'm up to date when I plug in. Really hope I'm not stuck with this latest software.

I'm not seeing any way to go back to the previous version either.

Not sure if I'm seeing any depth issues, but I might be.  I only got out for two hours last night with the new version and didn't get any good, deep signals and dug nothing deep.  On the way home, I was thinking that was kind of weird and wondering why there wasn't anything deeper at that school.  Was not thinking anything about the machine, just the site.  But, hmmm...

I have a 15+ year old coin garden in the back yard I can do some verification with this afternoon.  I'll report back.

- Dave

Let us know Dave. I went out to my coin garden this morning and there's definitely an issue with my machine now. Gold prospecting mode has no issues that I can tell. But all the other programs are underperforming compared to the previous version. All the stabilizer settings were reduced to zero on all the programs, some of the programs have stock stabilizer settings up to as much as 4 so FYI. I have a 6" dime 5" small pewter button and 9" .58 cal minie buried and the Manticore can't give a positive response I would stop for on any of them (mostly iron grunts). Before the update the targets were clearly audible and gave good enough ID's that I would know a target was there. This might only be a mineralized soil issue and I could see that happening with them trying to stabilize the ID overall with the new upgrade. 

Without wanting to attempt teach anyone's grandmother to suck eggs, I notice that the ground - in my part of the northern hemisphere anyway - is getting very dry.  I know this affects my ability to detect - and dig(!) - targets at depth at this time of year.

I have not done the up date as I was happy with the machine the way it was so thanks for that Andy I hope you get your machine resolved...

strick

Just got off the phone with Minelab and there is no way to go back to an older software version at this time. So anyone who hasn't done the update should probably hold off. Minelab said they will report up the chain and get back to me.

9 minutes ago, UKD2User said:

Without wanting to attempt teach anyone's grandmother to suck eggs, I notice that the ground - in my part of the northern hemisphere anyway - is getting very dry.  I know this affects my ability to detect - and dig(!) - targets at depth at this time of year.

It's been raining here a couple times a week so ground is not dry. 900 and D2 can easily hit the same targets in my coin garden so it's a Manticore issue.