What Waterproof Headphones Are You Water Hunters Using?

Dan(NM)

I tried the bone conduction headphones today for 4 hours and wasn't really impressed with the tonal quality. Trying to get some feedback on what other types of waterproof headphones you guys are using. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

7 hours ago, Dan(NM) said:

I tried the bone conduction headphones today for 4 hours and wasn't really impressed with the tonal quality. Trying to get some feedback on what other types of waterproof headphones you guys are using. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

I think that the bone conduction headphones are intended to be used for total immersion - I don't think you get the intended effect if your head/ears are out of the water.  The RC switches to square tones (I believe) automatically when the bone phones are plugged in - which perhaps explains the tonal difference.  Bone phones use high impedance piezo transducers to achieve the waterproof rating - they are not really going to yield a "hi-fi" quality sound.

I usually use the WSA2XL 's on the beach or in the rain.  If I were going completely underwater, I'd stick with the bonephones - although I think that Gray Ghost over-ear phones are also available (they're quite a bit more expensive and probably also use very similar piezo transducers, so sound quality may not be very different).

On 7/20/2023 at 10:22 AM, ecoast said:

get a cheap waterproof bt over ear from amazon that also has the 1/8" input, then get the $12 puck adapter...

I'm going underwater, that might be a problem 🙂

I got the Thresher Waterproof Phone for the D2 on my birthday and haven't had a chance to try them underwater yet but they sound good and loud on land.

https://www.seriousdetecting.com/product/detecting-adventure-thresher-headphones-for-xp-metal-detectors-deus-ii/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwwvilBhCFARIsADvYi7JXg_jaIzmtkBCEYN26blRCU1VLj7G3s8CAI9Se1pyJxxecV3A5F-4aAj6eEALw_wcB

I've also hear the Grey Ghost Waterproof Phones for Deus II are good also.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After suffering from broken bonephones, I salvaged a pair of Grey Ghosts I had on the Ctx and modified the connector to use the same pins as the bonephones.

They sound loud and clear and I would not go back.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cr8apzNqGvF/?igshid=MmU2YjMzNjRlOQ==

5 hours ago, Skullgolddiver said:

After suffering from broken bonephones, I salvaged a pair of Grey Ghosts I had on the Ctx and modified the connector to use the same pins as the bonephones.

They sound loud and clear and I would not go back.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cr8apzNqGvF/?igshid=MmU2YjMzNjRlOQ==

I'd like to know how to change them over, I have an extra pair of Grey Ghost CTX 

12 hours ago, Ferrous Grump said:

I'd like to know how to change them over, I have an extra pair of Grey Ghost

In my case, the quickest solution was to cut the bonephones' cable at the height of the headband and solder the poles there with the Grey Ghost wiring.

This means sacrificing your bonephones if they work properly.

Mine, being broken and with only one plate barely making sound, were now useless.

However, you can find a 6-pole connector and simply solder in the places that appear in the picture the positive and negative.

Remember to insulate with resin the solder in some way after testing the audio and all should be well 😌

(Thanks to Carolina for the diagram or whoever posted it before 🙏)

Screenshot_2023-08-17-08-41-47-191_com.google.android.documentsui-edit.jpg