A Few Observations On The Manticore, After About 50 Hours (and A Few Recent Nice Finds)...

The only way I can figure out how strong the mineralization is for the ground I'm hunting is to bury a coin and see if I can still detect it.  If I can't detect it in a few inches of dirt then its very mineralized, if the coin signal turns to iron then its mineralized. 

Not very accurate method but the other option is to bring a second detector that has a mineralization meter with me to test the dirt.  Nothing like using a $250 simplex to check dirt mineralization that a $1500 detector can't lol.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, fishersari said:

I concur... 110%.. 😁

In mean time.. how do you determine the mineralization's for the time being with Manticore?

As for me (I don't know this is correct/right way or not) ..

a) by using 2D screen.. if my targets floating at the lower ferrous limit..  its the indications of mineralization's in my soil and Ill bump up the recovery speed to 5 or 6.

b) changing ground balance number manually (+ve and -ve) and see how far off the tones changes (on 5 inches or deeper target only). For example if the tones changes/skew? with +/-  5 points from the 'pumping' GB value. I will use recovery speed of 6. At some places the tones changes when the GB greater than +/- 10 points of pumping GB value, I'm going all out.. the max sensitivity as I can with recovery of 4.

I only use these method IF I found a target. If there is another way that is more effective and correct. I'm all ears.

I've always owned at least 1 metal detector with a mineralization meter, right now it's the Deus 2. But in the past I would usually use an F75 or T2. I even went to the trouble or making a document on my phone with all the mineralization meter readings at the different sites I hunt. For me it's very important to know what type of soil I'm dealing with.

But based on past experience with the Manticore it appears that the lower the GB number is the more mineralized the ground is. Now whether that's right or not it seems to work in my area. I usually get GB at 2 0r 3 in pegged out meter dirt around here and about a 13 GB number in the 3-4 bar dirt. One area I hunt in Wyoming that has the mineralization meter empty on the Deus 2 GB's at 23.

1 hour ago, abenson said:

I've always owned at least 1 metal detector with a mineralization meter, right now it's the Deus 2. But in the past I would usually use an F75 or T2. I even went to the trouble or making a document on my phone with all the mineralization meter readings at the different sites I hunt. For me it's very important to know what type of soil I'm dealing with.

But based on past experience with the Manticore it appears that the lower the GB number is the more mineralized the ground is. Now whether that's right or not it seems to work in my area. I usually get GB at 2 0r 3 in pegged out meter dirt around here and about a 13 GB number in the 3-4 bar dirt. One area I hunt in Wyoming that has the mineralization meter empty on the Deus 2 GB's at 23.

Do you think the conductive properties of any Alkali content mixed in with the iron mineralization of you soil is the cause of your single digit GB numbers?  The strong mineralization may still be there effecting target ID with the conductive content lowering the GB point.  I know I have to keep reminding myself that GB numbers are not a measure of mineral strength.

Speaking of ground balance — mine is between 41 and 49 at all sites close by. The two extreme sites I referred to were both the same ground balance of 46, but no way can I hunt them both with the same setup. 

14 minutes ago, JCR said:

Do you think the conductive properties of any Alkali content mixed in with the iron mineralization of you soil is the cause of your single digit GB numbers?  The strong mineralization may still be there effecting target ID with the conductive content lowering the GB point.  I know I have to keep reminding myself that GB numbers are not a measure of mineral strength.

Could be. And you're right GB numbers only tell the type of mineralization not the strength.

13 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

me

but emails can't hurt

me too 🙂

Ok Minelab as your reading content on this forum can you please advise if you intend to provide customers with an option to purchase a Module. I have emailed this request to you several times and the response is that you have received many requests and are looking into it. SO ?

They read. They never, NEVER respond on social media. You got their response which is that they are acknowledging the requests. They will either take action or not. In my experience Minelab considers the update function a way to issue bug fixes, not a way to add missing features. That would normally happen in a new model, say a Manticore Pro, or a CTX 4040. But if they did decide to issue it as an update to Manticore, they sure won’t say anything about that until it actually happens. It’s not as trivial to do as you might think, and a promise just sets them up for constant complaints of “why has it not happened yet.” They won’t tell you when the coils will release so why would they tell you this? With Minelab it’s believe it when you see it. Like it or hate it, it’s the way they roll.