D2 - V2.0 Impromptu Test Hunt Yields 2 Firsts! ( Edited- Part Deux On Page 2)

CPT_GhostLight

Yesterday was my first chance to get out and test the new V2.0 update. I had every intention of just popping over to my local test park to see how the update performs, but I had some errands to run and ended up on the south end of the city. When I got done with the errands, I only had an hour or two left to do my update tests so I decided to go to a nearby park that had given up a Denver Tramway Company uniform button (circa 1888-1893) back in April. I hadn't been back there since.

I had been doing some research on this park area and knew there was a neighborhood there from the 1930s, to about 1960, but after finding the older button there in April, I had a hunch there was much older stuff to be found. There were some large elongated mounds at the back of the park next to the large creek that runs there and I thought those might have been made by the bulldozers when they demolished the old neighborhood. That large creek had created a devastating flood in the 1920s that wiped away a Victorian era park there made by the city founders in the 1890s.

The park was pretty busy so I decided to hunt the back of the mounds by the creek for a little while just to test a few programs and then head back home since I only had my 11" coil with me and I was just going to hunt coins to test V2.0. I wasn't finding much but a few coke cans and the usual park surface trash but I started hitting a lot of big iron signals. I was thinking of packing it up when I heard a few interesting solid high tones mixed in with the iron. I was running my Fast program in 24 kHz with Reactivity at 3 to deal with the iron and felt confident that it was running the same as with V1.1 when I hit a dime signal. It turned out to be a 1981-D dime. I thought, okay everything sounds normal, then I hit an unusally big iron tone and dug out a large hand forged chain. Now that's old, I thought to myself and then I hit a solid 94. Well that has to a quarter or a large bottle cap for sure, and most likely a large bottle cap. I dug through the iron and moist ground about 4 inches and there was a mud covered quarter. It looked a bit odd, but with no time to clean it off I popped it in my pouch. I kept hunting for another hour or so finding a few interesting and not so interesting things. I hit an almost too loud 84 and new it would be really large bottle cap or can bottom and pulled out and almost perfect ball of hardened mud. I could see some of a metal rim sticking through the mud ball and thinking it was a can bottom threw it in the junk pouch and headed home.

I was feeling good that all of the targets were sounding and IDing pretty much the same as before the update and the few other programs I tested performed the same as well. Then I set out cleaning out the junk pouch first to make sure there weren't any keepers in there. That's when the mudball split open and I could see unmistakable green hue of something copper. As I gently cleaned the large disk I started to make out what looked like an Egyptian Pharoh's head on each side of the disc. Now that can't be real, I thought. I think it might be some kind of souvenir piece from Egypt or possibly from museum exhibit held at some time maybe.

V2-Park-Tut-1-2.jpg

I looked at some of the keeper pouch finds and I have no idea what the large copper disk with the glass domed front is. There is also a mundane rectangular aluminum or tin thing that is stamped "Little OEM Bank, New York, Pat. Apl 14, 1891".

Then I started cleaning the odd looking States quarter that looked like it was caked with a mix of soil, mud, and tar. I thought it had an Indian sitting on a horse on one side when I flipped it over and could see a familiar looking eagle, but not a modern eagle.

V2-Park-Coin-1-ab.jpg

After I got through the soil and mud, I could see the old eagle better and on the other side was... OMG, a Seated Liberty!!! I still can't believe it! That's both my first silver quarter in the wild and my first Seated Liberty coin! I cleaned the tar enough to make out the date and then stopped. It's 1857 with no mint mark that I can see.

So what started out as a simple test run ended up netting 2 bucket listers in one!

V2-Park-Coin-2a.JPEG

V2-Park-Coin-2b.JPEG

V2-Park-Finds-1.JPEG

V2-Park-Finds-2.JPEG

V2-Park-Finds-3.JPEG

Great post and great finds for a short hunt GL!! I think you may be working this spot much more in the future! Gotta be more to discover there! Also love the sight finds!!🍀👍👍

What a great hunt Cap'n! Congrats on the Seated, my thought is you'll find more because you're hitting the other half of your stride - the research. 👍 You find a place that promises finds, and you find them. 🙂 bravo. 🏆

Your glass object looks like a sight glass of some kind, is there a slot or hole in the back? If it's solid it could be a paper weight.

The other object appears to have some text on it, perhaps a bit of persuasion with 0000 steel wool or some cleaning pencils might bring out some detail. I'm thinking Nefertiti or something, but you've got lots of great suggestions. Fascination with Egyptian was much more prevalent than South American artifacts.

Hey CPT good report and nice hunt with some very interesting and worthwhile finds.Heres what your little Bank or what I call a dime safe looks like when intact.

B770C007-FC1C-436E-B0DD-E79BDE5999B3_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.9fea07fe91d159f89a3f88f3f9120067.jpeg

27F29E27-23E4-4DAA-A168-4A84D5B0A840_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.190e4b3e88b71207f86ea2ee743d8dac.jpeg

On 9/14/2023 at 7:01 PM, Lodge Scent said:

Nice hunt there CPT! Egyptian revival jewelry was very popular during the Victorian era. Is that a clay pipe stem?

Thanks Lodge Scent! I don’t know about a pipe stem, it seems too large to me and has letters APC and something else stamped on it.

15 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

What a great hunt Cap'n! Congrats on the Seated, my thought is you'll find more because you're hitting the other half of your stride - the research. 👍 You find a place that promises finds, and you find them. 🙂 bravo. 🏆

Your glass object looks like a sight glass of some kind, is there a slot or hole in the back? If it's solid it could be a paper weight.

The other object appears to have some text on it, perhaps a bit of persuasion with 0000 steel wool or some cleaning pencils might bring out some detail. I'm thinking Nefertiti or something, but you've got lots of great suggestions. Fascination with Egyptian was much more prevalent than South American artifacts.

Thanks F350! The glass object has a copper or brass back with two small rectangular holes near the edge across from each other.