D2 - V2.0 Impromptu Test Hunt Yields 2 Firsts! ( Edited- Part Deux On Page 2)

CPT_GhostLight

3 hours ago, Doc Bach said:

Hey CPT good report and nice hunt with some very interesting and worthwhile finds.Heres what your little Bank or what I call a dime safe looks like when intact.

B770C007-FC1C-436E-B0DD-E79BDE5999B3_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.9fea07fe91d159f89a3f88f3f9120067.jpeg

27F29E27-23E4-4DAA-A168-4A84D5B0A840_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.190e4b3e88b71207f86ea2ee743d8dac.jpeg

Thanks Doc! And thanks for the photos of the dime bank, I’ve never heard of those.

It's always good to see when people are enjoying their detector and doing well with it, and you did great.  Plenty of potential at that park by the looks of it.  

• Thanks 1

Research pays dividends!  Nice variety of finds there!

When I zoom in on the side of your “medallion” with the intact face, I think I am seeing letters along the rim from just above the cemented lump around the 9:30 position to about the 2:30 position.  Can you make out any letters or post some close-up pics of that area with different light angles?  I am not seeing letters on the damaged face side, but that may be due to wear, remaining cementation, or picture resolution (the top part of that pic is slightly fuzzy).

I am trying to figure out the likely use with relief on both sides, possible writing on one side, and mounting holes at 9:00 and 3:00.  Haven’t come up with any good ideas on that score yet.  My wife’s first glance impression with the holes was some sort of bag/purse ornamentation. 

• Thanks 1

One more question - I am also curious about the round item on the middle far right of your “good“ picture - the one with the small peg.  I am guessing the peg is the back of a one piece, or middle of a two piece, item and was intended to keep the item from shifting on whatever it was mounted on or affixed to.  If so, the side not shown would be the front.  Is there any detail on that side?

• Like 1

On 9/15/2023 at 5:42 AM, F350Platinum said:

What a great hunt Cap'n! Congrats on the Seated, my thought is you'll find more because you're hitting the other half of your stride - the research. 👍 You find a place that promises finds, and you find them. 🙂 bravo. 🏆

Your glass object looks like a sight glass of some kind, is there a slot or hole in the back? If it's solid it could be a paper weight.

The other object appears to have some text on it, perhaps a bit of persuasion with 0000 steel wool or some cleaning pencils might bring out some detail. I'm thinking Nefertiti or something, but you've got lots of great suggestions. Fascination with Egyptian was much more prevalent than South American artifacts.

Here's a couple of better photos of the glass disk object. It may have been some sort of decorative object.

GlassDisk-1.JPEG

GlassDisk-2.JPEG

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Geologyhound said:

Research pays dividends!  Nice variety of finds there!

When I zoom in on the side of your “medallion” with the intact face, I think I am seeing letters along the rim from just above the cemented lump around the 9:30 position to about the 2:30 position.  Can you make out any letters or post some close-up pics of that area with different light angles?  I am not seeing letters on the damaged face side, but that may be due to wear, remaining cementation, or picture resolution (the top part of that pic is slightly fuzzy).

I am trying to figure out the likely use with relief on both sides, possible writing on one side, and mounting holes at 9:00 and 3:00.  Haven’t come up with any good ideas on that score yet.  My wife’s first glance impression with the holes was some sort of bag/purse ornamentation. 

I tried to clean up the Egyptian object a little more. It is very fragile so I'm not going to try to do anything more to it, however I did find that it also has a top hole. I tried a few lighting angles to see if there are any obvious letters on it but I dont think there are.

Egyptian-1.JPEG

Egyptian-2.JPEG

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Geologyhound said:

One more question - I am also curious about the round item on the middle far right of your “good“ picture - the one with the small peg.  I am guessing the peg is the back of a one piece, or middle of a two piece, item and was intended to keep the item from shifting on whatever it was mounted on or affixed to.  If so, the side not shown would be the front.  Is there any detail on that side?

The other side has what looks like a brass leaf spring clip of some sort. I think I may have dropped that into the iron bucket, so I'll have to dig through that to see if I can find it. 🙄

4 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

I tried to clean up the Egyptian object a little more. It is very fragile so I'm not going to try to do anything more to it, however I did find that it also has a top hole. I tried a few lighting angles to see if there are any obvious letters on it but I dont think there are.

Egyptian-1.JPEG

Egyptian-2.JPEG

These objects seem to have a common name, "Roundel". Usually a furniture or uniform decoration, maybe attached to leather for varying decoration.

That's about as much as I can find with a cursory search. Yours looks Egyptian, here's an example of a Roman one:images(20).jpeg.4846368f40870e69df3924ae05c1ad67.jpeg

I swear it looks like text in the areas GHound mentioned, but anyway this might help you a bit. 🙂 utterly fascinating item. 👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to D2 - V2.0 Impromptu Test Hunt Yields 2 Firsts! (edited With Part Deux)

D2-V2-Part Deux!

I went back to the same spot today and took the same setup (D2-V2-11 Coil). I really should have taken the 9" coil because I went deeper into the brush, but the 11" did alright. I started out using my same Fast 24K program and dug more iron on purpose to clear some areas that may be hiding other goodies. I even dug out a couple of enamelware pots.

V2-Park2-1.thumb.JPEG.39222eb1f07d670a44499de950768451.JPEG

I wasn't finding as many old non-ferrous targets today so after the first hour and a half, I dedcided to head back to the car. I figured I might as well try something different on the way back out, so I switch to the stock Goldfield program which has been beefed up in the V2 update. I changed the IAR to 5 and bumped the Reactivity to 3 and, man, things came alive! I did have to watch the screen alot more because the stock Goldfield uses Pitch audio, but it was definitely going deep so I didn't mind. And shortly after switching to Goldfield, I hit a solid 91 about a foot from where I found the Seated quarter before, but about 5-6 inches into the hill slope and on edge I popped out a nice 1942 silver Mercury dime! 

V2-Park2-6.jpg

Then I found a nickel or chrome plated bell with some sort of mounting device in it which makes me think that maybe it was an early electric doorbell. It just crumbled in my hands when I took it out of the ground. 😯

V2-Park2-8a-horz.jpg

I also found another round thingy that @Geologyhound was asking about right near where I found the first one.

V2-Park2-7.jpg

Then I dug the fly fishing reel about a foot down. I have no idea of the vintage on this one.

V2-Park2-9.jpg

The last good target was the large D-ring in a metal mounting.

V2-Park2-4.JPEG

So another good day on the relic site. One bad thing did happen. I managed to lose my 12" Devils Tongue Park Probe that @kac made for me. It dropped out of my pouch somewhere and even after retracing my steps it was nowhere to be seen.😞 So I'll be ordering another one of those. But I will say I was quite impressed with the "new" Goldfield program on an iron filled relic site. That's just one more very useful tool in our bag of tricks, so big Thanks to @Gary XP for showing that in his latest video and Thanks again XP! 😎

V2-Park2-2.JPEG

V2-Park2-2b.JPEG

V2-Park2-3.JPEG

V2-Park2-5.JPEG

• Like 9