Just Short And Sweet This Morning

A school I've been interested in for a little bit.  Today was the fourth time I've hit it.  But even including today, only about 8 hours total.  Had not found old silver, yet, before today, but enough deep wheats that I felt there had to be some silver waiting.  I have found a couple nice .925's there the three previous hunts.  With the days getting shorter, I only had about an hour and a half of daylight to hunt this morning before the soccer army arrived en masse and it was time to go.

Just a gorgeous morning to be out though.  Cold enough to be comfortable in a hoody.  Nobody there but me until the soccer horde descended.  I don't mind the soccer horde though, they are no doubt the source of the fairly consistent .925 here.

Running the Manticore in ATHC, sensitivity 20, recovery 5, one region all tones, finally pulled a silver coin out of this field, a '39 Merc from 7" deep.  That's pretty good depth for any machine in this dirt and it gave a definitely dig me signal.  When soccer is done soon, and before the snow flies, I need to spend some more hours here.

thumbnail_IMG_1188.jpg.e8685eb2474f2212e32a7b9efd5953d6.jpg

Also pulled a .925 cross, that I initially thought was probably junk.  It was balled up in mud and I thought it might be some sort of stainless steel clip or something.  But I also thought it there was a chance it was some sort of bling so I put it in the keepers side of the nail pouch.  And after rinsing the mud off at home saw it is indeed a silver cross of sorts.

thumbnail_IMG_1189.jpg.50d9600fa24e9e8d53c31cf24f3644ac.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1190.jpg.1ed7895de1ff3092bb8979b075be39d2.jpg

Truth be told, I'd MUCH rather be out in the desert ghost towning.  But things have not lined up for that lately.  Nobody else wants to go and I'm getting just old enough that going by myself on longer trips isn't as much fun as it used to be.  But, even though I'd rather be doing that, I'm sure not unhappy getting in some fun turf hunts when I can!  Seeing silver in the dirt is always a good feeling!

- Dave

How old is that school? The Merc looks to be dropped fairly soon after it was made. Almost no wear on it. The cross is cool to. Nice score!

5 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

How old is that school? The Merc looks to be dropped fairly soon after it was made. Almost no wear on it. The cross is cool to. Nice score!

The school is over 100 years old.   Which is what got me there the first time.   But of course, the current building is from the 60's, and who knows how much dirt moving and reconfiguring have gone on in more than a century.  Finding indications there were oldies at detectable depth has had me going back.  Like I say, nothing but wheats before this morning.  But, deep wheats, well, you know 😂.

- Dave

1 hour ago, UT Dave said:

The school is over 100 years old.   Which is what got me there the first time.   But of course, the current building is from the 60's, and who knows how much dirt moving and reconfiguring have gone on in more than a century.  Finding indications there were oldies at detectable depth has had me going back.  Like I say, nothing but wheats before this morning.  But, deep wheats, well, you know 😂.

- Dave

Sometimes the moving of dirt can help. An old trick from the early days of detecting was to pinpoint targets that were on the fringe of depth and using the pinpoint to see if it was a small target. Back then 5" on a coin was average, but with pinpoint you could take the chance and dig some deep stuff. 100 years old sounds like there are some Barbers sitting somewhere down deep.

Great finds and I know old school yards like that can have some serious hot areas in them. Some of the old schools I have hunted still has coal ash in the ground where the school would dump it.

Good luck on your next outing and stay safe out there.