Tom Dankowski’s Settings For The Minelab Manticore

cjc

Don't know about Florida beaches and haven't been to any west coast beaches yet.  However, my last three hunts before it froze up were done with the prospecting sound scheme.  

Lots to learn in that mode but all three hunts were successful in finding silver and gold rings!

As noted, it will be nice to be able to discern foil from precious metal targets.  More time is needed with these settings. 

The Manticore has been a game changer in my recovery record in 2023.

10 gold rings, 14 silver rings, 31 non precious rings. 2 silver chains, 5 silver earrings.  One gold charm.

On 12/9/2023 at 3:53 AM, cjc said:

There is a considerable depth boost though. 

I found out the same too.. its not much but its there. For salt beach hunting the prospecting audio outperforms every other tones setup for me to get the best out of manticore. What makes me changed to prospecting audio is because its lock/ more alertive on whisper targets on hunting swing?/discovery swing much better.  

On 12/7/2023 at 5:42 PM, TampaBayBrad said:

Only difference for me is that I cut the ferrous volume down to half of what my regular volume is and I run the sensitivity at around 21-22 for my beach. Both these adjustments help cut down on ear fatigue during a long hunt. If you're hunting an area with a lot of iron, the the iron grunts along with the high sensitivity chatter can be fatiguing to the ears after a while. I do however bump up the sensitivity to 25-26 temporarily when I come across a deep weak signal to help identify it as "dig" or "no dig". This does make the target easier to identify after crossing it in all directions. Then I go back to my 21-22 sensitivity

I agree but for me a little different.. I run mine 23-25 mostly and bumped up to 25-27 sometimes depend on ear fatique and I found out even at 27-30 the deep/faint signal can be heard by sensitivity 21 the lowest on my beach anyway but this only works for sparse targets.. if targets close together doesn't matter non ferrous with ferrous or non ferrous with non ferrous when running very high sensitivity lets say 26 and above, the small/whisper target will be lost in all that amplified falsing/ground noise.. so for me.. when I'm on busy target area I will turn down sensitivity 

2 minutes ago, fishersari said:

I agree but for me a little different.. I run mine 23-25 mostly and bumped up to 25-27 sometimes depend on ear fatique and I found out even at 27-30 the deep/faint signal can be heard by sensitivity 21 the lowest on my beach. But I found out this only works for sparse targets.. if targets close together doesn't matter non ferrous with ferrous or non ferrous with non ferrous when running very high sensitivity lets say 26 and above, the small/whisper target will be lost.. so for me.. when I'm on busy target area I will turn down sensitivity 

I'll have to remember that next time I come across a weak mixed double signal. I'll give it a shot at 26 to see what you're talking about. Usually if I hear/see any indication of a nonferrous target mixed with iron, i dig it just to check it out.

20 minutes ago, TampaBayBrad said:

I'll have to remember that next time I come across a weak mixed double signal. I'll give it a shot at 26 to see what you're talking about. Usually if I hear/see any indication of a nonferrous target mixed with iron, i dig it just to check it out.

I don't know how to say this in the right words.. but its like lets say you cut various small size of many reflective sticker, put it  lay it on the ground close together and its represent nonferrous/ferrous targets.. using adjustable flashlight brightness.. the higher the brightness,  the reflective sticker will reflect almost the same no matter the sizes and some maybe it will hide the reflections of the smaller one.. I hope this makes sense.. lol..   

3 minutes ago, fishersari said:

I don't know how to say this in the right words.. but its like lets say you cut various small size of many reflective sticker, put it  lay it on the ground close together and its represent nonferrous/ferrous targets.. using adjustable flashlight brightness.. the higher the brightness,  the reflective sticker will reflect almost the same no matter the sizes and some maybe will hide the reflections of the small one.. I hope this makes sense.. lol..   

Yea, I get what you're saying. Pretty good translation.....Ha!

Would the "Deep Beach" setting achieve similar results. It engages the "Prospecting" audio theme automatically.

Also, if you select All Metal, are the ferrous Limits no longer relevant?

Thanks,

Tony

4 hours ago, Tony said:

Would the "Deep Beach" setting achieve similar results. It engages the "Prospecting" audio theme automatically.

Also, if you select All Metal, are the ferrous Limits no longer relevant?

Thanks,

Tony

I have never tried Beach Deep, so I can't compare it to any other setting. I have flirted with the idea of trying it if I intend to hunt the dry or wet sand, but when I get to the beach I always say "No....stick with what's been working." (Beach Low Conductors) The manual says Deep has aggressive settings for max depth, but loses some target separation ability compared to Low Conductors. I mostly hunt in the water, so I'm using Surf and Seawater there. Only time I hunt the sand is when I get to the beach before sun up which is usual for me, or if it's too rough surf or too cold water to wade in.

Yes, ferrous limits are still relevant in All Metal mode in that the detector will give you an iron grunt and a ferrous indication on the screen for a ferrous target that is within your set ferrous limit range. If you're not in All Metal, the detector will give no response at all to a ferrous target within the ferrous limit range you have selected. The "iron grunt" sound can be manipulated to your liking under the "Ferrous Tones" section of the menu.

Thanks for the info......very impressed so far but has the Excalibur got the edge on bottlecap ID ?

>>>> sorry that was a rhetorical question 🤔

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

Thanks for the info......very impressed so far but has the Excalibur got the edge on bottlecap ID ?

>>>> sorry that was a rhetorical question 🤔

Bottle caps are easy for me to identify. They jump all over the place TID # wise with each pass, never settling on a 2 or 3 digit swing indication like a good target does. They also don't have a clean "hit" sound like a coin or ring in Prospecting Audio. This is with a setting of "0" for you're lower ferrous limit.