Tom Dankowski’s Settings For The Minelab Manticore

cjc

I think I was running configured as you guys are suggesting: beach LC, prospecting mode.  I dug a hole in the wet and dropped my gold ring on a string into it - digging the hole deeper and repeating to test depth. It would become a still rather strong ferrous target - which the manual suggests may happen. I didn’t try/toggle the ferrous tone function - I’ll try that today.  Just saying if you are running like this, dig the ferrous targets.

1 hour ago, bklein said:

I think I was running configured as you guys are suggesting: beach LC, prospecting mode.  I dug a hole in the wet and dropped my gold ring on a string into it - digging the hole deeper and repeating to test depth. It would become a still rather strong ferrous target - which the manual suggests may happen. I didn’t try/toggle the ferrous tone function - I’ll try that today.  Just saying if you are running like this, dig the ferrous targets.

Interesting. Out of the water I am running Beach LC, upper 4, lower 0, all metal, ferrous threshold 0, recovery 4, prospecting audio, 21-22 sensitivity. I don't have black mineralized sand.

I would be out of the hobby if I dug all ferrous targets on my beaches! Crab trap pieces, tent stakes, rusted bolts and nuts are too numerous to waste time on down here. Maybe a good idea on cleaner beaches.

I was looking through the manual for clarification on what you said it states about a deep non-ferrous target becoming ferrous sounding with prospecting audio. I couldn't find anything other than this:

"The Ferrous Tone setting allows the ferrous tones to be turned Off. This means that when detecting in All Metal, ferrous targets will not give a ferrous tone, and instead will give a regular detection tone. This is a useful feature when searching for gold, because very weak gold targets can be pulled into the ferrous region by nearby ferrous targets or by the ground signal from highly mineralised ground. By turning Ferrous Tones Off, the gold signals will be more clearly audible."

Is that the section you were talking about? If so, I understand if it's a ring deep and next to a ferrous metal or if you are at a black sand beach. Multi-IQ+ is supposed to be great at separating ferrous from non-ferrous, but we all know how marketing likes to boast. That's why it's interesting to me reading your test and the resulting ferrous indication you got on a gold ring....deep or not. Is it a 10k ring?

20 hours ago, cjc said:

I don't understand your question or the context--what post it's in response to. 

cjc

Thanks Clive: the initial threw, were you described the Dankowski setting and you said:

(...) .  This brings in the machine’s filtering (bias) to  assist in  pushing the “random” part of the signal  down into the iron tone.  The noise of this iron tone takes some getting used to but the results are surprising.

(...) 

I hope there more discussion on this. 
is there any u tube videos about these settings( I am not seeing any ). 
I am trying to learn this.  I can’t tell a very faint targets if it’s ferrous or non ferrous. 
Can’t tell the shape of the target by the tone like some of you said you can do

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to share with you what I reply to Tom at his forum:

Thank you very much Tom for sharing your knowledge and enthusiasm with us. I have followed your advice, and little by little I have been mastering the machine, to the point that on beaches and places where with the Equinox 800 and 6" coil I could only execute sensitivity 23, with the Manticore and the M8 I have managed to reach levels sensitivity 30, and recovery speed 3, although a little chattering.

I have worked a salt sand beach with medium low iron where it has removed some sand, and I have gone very slowly. The results have been, in general, coins from the 1950's to the 1990's, various old objects from the War that took place here in the 1930's, some current coins, and some gold.

There have been 4 sessions: 

1.- Manticore coil M11 2 hours to reconnoiter the terrain
2.- Manticore coil M8 3 hours
3.- Manticore coil M8 2 hours
4.- Manticore coil M8 3 hours 

The best thing is that I have noticed that I have reached the lower stable layer, where the objects are stable. M11 super deep, but I didn't finish getting the gold. M8 very deep, and the one that has made the difference by taking out the gold.

On the 4 occasions I have gone with a partner who was using XP Deus 2 with a 9" coil. Manticore with M8 obtained the same depth and resolution as the Deus and 9"

The gold has come out at 15" levels, except for the fine ring, which came out at around 9". I'm experiencing a hallucinogenic sidereal trip with the Manticore.

Pendant with 197x's engraving
Ring with diamond 195x's engraving
Little ring without info

[url=https://ibb.co/zH9tKwY][img]https://i.ibb.co/cXfszdH/PCIMG-2024-01-14-12-07-27.jpg[/img][/url ]

PCIMG-2024-01-14-12-07-27.jpg

6 hours ago, Airtemisa said:

M8 I have managed to reach levels sensitivity 30, and recovery speed 3, although a little chattering.

I am wondering if sensitivity of 27 and recovery of 3 is equal or better/worse than sensitivity of 30 and recovery of 4 as I conclude regarding sensitivity/recovery speed relations to depth (correct me if I'm wrong) the recovery speed have more mmm how to say.. 'impact' than the sensitivity.. 3 to 4 level of sensitivity equates to 1 level drop of recovery speed to achieved same depth on my beach .. of course the lower recovery speed,  more skewed the targets and ground responses but its still manageable/understood with proper/much slower coil control/swing.

I guess what I'm wondering is what do I gain/lose if I am using 30 sensitivity with all the amplified falsing/ground response etc with the recovery speed of 4 vs sensitivity 25-27 with recovery speed 3.

I know you using 30 and recovery speed of 3 which is my dream setting to run if I can.. 

I'm about to go to the beach with my M15, starting with Beach Low Conductor, Prospecting audio, iron 4 upper, 0 lower. Iron volume about half the total volume, no discrimination, red iron VDI - on. I'm also wondering whether to use 3 or 4 sweep speed, with the sensitivity over 20, but not to the point to where it causes a problem, etc. 

Might also change it to Normal, full tones, just to see the difference in performance. Probably start by throwing a nickle down when adjusting the sensitivity and other adjustments. Then I'll take it from there. Will report my findings soon while my Deus II collects some dust for a little while. I'm becoming attached to the Manticore a lot faster than I did with my Deus. It seems very promising, and I love the information on the graph, even though I'm not a VDI number watcher, mainly go by audio, but this detector gives a lot of information. Love that. 👍

23 hours ago, Suncoast Kid said:

Might also change it to Normal, full tones, just to see the difference in performance.

Don't forget to test enhanced also 😁.. it got few advantages compare to normal.. the big one for me is it is much easier to locate target especially when using big coil due to enhanced mode uses target signal strength.. the loudest/stronger tones is always at the center of the coil

On 1/14/2024 at 7:45 PM, fishersari said:

I am wondering if sensitivity of 27 and recovery of 3 is equal or better/worse than sensitivity of 30 and recovery of 4 as I conclude regarding sensitivity/recovery speed relations to depth (correct me if I'm wrong) the recovery speed have more mmm how to say.. 'impact' than the sensitivity.. 3 to 4 level of sensitivity equates to 1 level drop of recovery speed to achieved same depth on my beach .. of course the lower recovery speed,  more skewed the targets and ground responses but its still manageable/understood with proper/much slower coil control/swing.

I guess what I'm wondering is what do I gain/lose if I am using 30 sensitivity with all the amplified falsing/ground response etc with the recovery speed of 4 vs sensitivity 25-27 with recovery speed 3.

I know you using 30 and recovery speed of 3 which is my dream setting to run if I can.. 

This is what Tom D said about using a 3 or 4 recovery.

I would much rather you keep Recovery Speed on '4' ((than 3)). If conditions are allowing/authorizing you to drop your Recovery Speed....... I would much rather you bump up Sens by a point or two. , . , . , . , rather than deviating from a Recovery Speed of 4. ((( In most places around the World........ a Recovery Speed of '4' creates a electronic symbiotic harmonious quescense balance between electronics VS wet-salt ))).