Lenticular Button/pin

I spent an hour or so detecting part of my parent's yard Saturday.  I've barely had time to look at my metal detectors this year, so my main goal was to see if I could remember how to use it.  Other than a lot of foil, a nickel had be my only real find, and I was scanning one last small area when I found this.  I thought it was a dime at first, and it's very close to that size, but I realized it was a button or pin or something like that.  When I started washing it off, I could see the image in the first picture.  As I was tilting it back and forward trying to figure out what it was, I noticed that the image changed.  I had to search to see what that was called, and I may still be wrong.  I originally had it rotated 90° and couldn't tell what the second image was.  Tonight I was moving it around trying to get light shining at the right angle to get some good photographs when I got it turned the right way and instantly realized it was a face.

Has anyone ever seen something like this?  Maybe recognize who it is or what the other image is?  Any idea how old it might be?  It's still pretty rough, and I still can't get a really good shot of it.  I thought about soaking it in water and trying to brush along the lines to see if I can get it any cleaner, but I want to make sure I don't damage it any more than it already is.  What is the safest way to try to clean it?

Image 1.jpg

Image 2.jpg

• Like 3

That certainly is different.  You may have found the Cracker Jack prize.  Neat find.

• Like 1

The guy pictured looks a lot like Rod Serling the narrator of the Twilight Zone? However it's the Holliday season and I have been partaking a little bit too much with the party favors. 

• Like 3

Looks to be a holographic item from the 1960's when they were given as a prize, the image reminds me of Lincoln and if so it could be part of the presidential collection. The presidential collection was found I a box of candy and was really hard to find more than 10 different ones in your area. They were collectable for a very short time. as they never had all the presidents in most of the areas.

I hope that you find out exactly what it is, but if to much water starts to unravel the item I'm sure it is only foil coated on the main body and edges, with the hologram glued to it.

• Like 2

Cool find, David N! I'm going to guess it is a 60s or 70s promotional pin for a 007 movie, judging by the handgun and possible likeness of a young Sean Connery.

https://spycommandfeatures.wordpress.com/the-evolution-of-the-007-logo/

• Like 2

I agree with the Cap'n, it's 007. 😀 That's not a Walther PPK, but it rules out Serling. 🤣 Interesting find! 👍

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JCR said:

That certainly is different.  You may have found the Cracker Jack prize.  Neat find.

8 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Looks to be a holographic item from the 1960's when they were given as a prize, the image reminds me of Lincoln and if so it could be part of the presidential collection. The presidential collection was found I a box of candy and was really hard to find more than 10 different ones in your area. They were collectable for a very short time. as they never had all the presidents in most of the areas.

I hope that you find out exactly what it is, but if to much water starts to unravel the item I'm sure it is only foil coated on the main body and edges, with the hologram glued to it.

It is very light, so it may very well have been some kind of prize.  A coworker also thought it looked like Lincoln, but in person the face looks too wide.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Cool find, David N! I'm going to guess it is a 60s or 70s promotional pin for a 007 movie, judging by the handgun and possible likeness of a young Sean Connery.

https://spycommandfeatures.wordpress.com/the-evolution-of-the-007-logo/

2 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I agree with the Cap'n, it's 007. 😀 That's not a Walther PPK, but it rules out Serling. 🤣 Interesting find! 👍

I think you two may have nailed it.  I thought the other image looked kind of like a handgun, but I was leaning more toward a Luger.  Apparently, a Walther LP53 airgun was used for a lot of promotional images, but was never used in a movie.  I think the first image likely is that Walther.

https://www.jamesbondlifestyle.com/product/walther-lp53

image.png.639c0418feb23c9f6893987e684fe885.png

A quick search led me to this auction on ebay.  Those look to be nearly identical in size and shape, but the back of the one I found is still too crusty to tell much about.  The lines in those also appear to be segmented, whereas this one looks like the lines are continuous.  This one might look more similar if it was cleaner.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194791427636

image.png.d9b62be5d2fbba2da8ac1c8c9b90727e.png

That time frame would be pretty close, too.  I didn't think there had been any children living in the house that had been on that property since the 50s or so, but apparently there was a boy that lived there for a little while in the 70s.

Thanks to everyone for the ideas.

• Like 3