Introduction, Newbie From France.

gilgsn

Hello.

When I was a child, 12-13yo maybe, my parents bought me a metal detector; big mistake at the time, LOL. Most of what I found in the north of France, and my parent's garden, were German cartridges from WWI or WWII. I would remove the cordite and make, let's just say, more powerful devices... Almost blew myself up one time!

Fast forward 43 years later, I want to buy another one! Although detecting in France is almost illegal... Anyway, 
I am hesitating between the Nokta Double Score and Legend. I am thinking I don't need all the settings of the Legend, am I wrong? I do live near the coast BTW.

Otherwise, I am into HAM radio, aviation, photography, building FPV drones, sailing, and shooting/reloading/casting. I drive an old Toyota Land Cruiser LJ70.

I bet many of you guys have similar interests...

Merry Christmas!

Gil.

Welcome Gil. I'm sure that someone will chime in on those Nokta's.

Well I can't help you with any of those detectors but a big thumbs up to your LC70.......I've got something "slightly" more modern..........a 2011 76 Land Cruiser.

I was also the same age as you when I got my first metal detector in the early 80's..... I got distracted by beer and girls a few years later and detecting took a back seat for a while. I soon came to my senses and re-discovered metal detecting in my early 20's.....I decided to combine all three interests. I had a detector in one hand, a pretty girl on the other and quite often I would find a buried six pack of Heineken in the wet sand.

Life was good and simple back then.......she even let me play Commodore 64 games without fuss.

I'm still with that same girl.......Christmas morning here in Perth, Western Australia. Temperature is about 95F.....low tide soon.....nice offshore winds......I really want to go metal detecting instead of visiting the outlaws. I'll try and see how it goes...maybe she'll come with me, hand in hand.....as I try and find that elusive pack of beer instead of all the left over pull-tabs.

welcome to the group gilgsn !  Glad that you found a winner and some beer and that they went well together! Hope whichever detector you chose will be a winner to. It's hard to pick one that isn't these days... 

Spending some time on the forums here will make that decision easier no doubt. There's a huge amount of detecting info to go over and more posted every day ! There's a Nokta only forum (bet you already found it)!  If you want more clues on detecting in general , check out Steve's Guides

Hello Tony.

Believe it or not, I've been to Perth! In my mid-20s, hitchhiking around Australia 🙂 had a great time, two months trip...

rvpopeye, thank you! Just what I needed 🙂

Gil.