Garrett Ace Apex

It's so good on the saltwater beaches that i have only used my cz 21 once since i got my Apex i use the reaper coil and put tyvek tape over the charging port for additional waterproofing,although you are not supposed to submerge them i have at least 20 times but the beaches i hunt in California you really don't need to go more than knee deep .The viper coil is much easier to swing in the water.I hunt in multi salt with sensitivity all the way up no discrimination.

I mostly use the Apex to coin and relic hunt.

I have the Ripper coil, Viper coil(standard with my detector) and Raider coil. The Ripper is great for shallower targets and junky areas, and is super light to swing.  The Viper is good for all around hunting and can hit 6-7" dimes in my local mineralized soil . The Raider coil covers about the same amount of ground, and goes a bit deeper than the Viper coil.  It comes with the price of more weight to swing. I have not tried the Reaper coil, but assume it would be heavier and more fatiguing to the arm, and probably deeper than any of the others.

As far as MF to SF operation, I have only used the SF when EMI caused too much chatter in the SMF mode. Otherwise the detector seems to work fine either way in my mineralized soil.  I hope your questions are answered.

I you are hunting for gold, I would use it in SMF mode.  I don't know if switching it to SF mode at 20Khz would benefit you. Maybe someone else will comment on that.

I'm new at this and live in AZ (we dont have any beaches...yet).  I was hoping to use the 20Khz to explore our washes for gold.  I have done some panning and thought I would try my had at a detector.