Problems With Garrett Apex

Personally I have had a lot of issues with the Apex . Faulty coil , instable electronics , coil connector very difficult to connect/disconnect . Perhaps because it was one of the first released units and perhaps these pbs have been fixed now , I hope so ..

If other forum members know about such fixes I would be interested because there is no communication from Garrett about this .. Nothing 

It sucks you had a bad run with the detector palzynski but I guess you could replace the detector name and three issues with different problems and your statement could be just about any newly released detector over the past few years, none really get a flawless entry to the market. 

I am sure they've been fixed or were more random problems than with all detectors as I've seen plenty of people using the Apex on social media with nothing but praise for it.

• Like 2

On 4/8/2023 at 9:18 PM, phrunt said:

It sucks you had a bad run with the detector palzynski but I guess you could replace the detector name and three issues with different problems and your statement could be just about any newly released detector over the past few years, none really get a flawless entry to the market. 

I am sure they've been fixed or were more random problems than with all detectors as I've seen plenty of people using the Apex on social media with nothing but praise for it.

Actually I have never had so many issues with a detector since I detect ( 1998 ) . And there are very few users using an Apex in this forum .

Two reasons why I am not ready to try a second test ...

• Like 1

I realize this is the Garrett forum and an APEX specific topic so I am hesitant to state negative things about the APEX. All I will say is that its simultaneous multi frequency technology cannot compete with the Minelab Vanquish, Minelab Equinox models, XP Deus 2 or Nokta Legend. Whether that was Garrett’s intention I have no idea. I am very familiar with all of those detectors and have owned two APEX detectors. I just simply cannot recommend the APEX unless it is for the most basic detecting or for a secondary saltwater beach detector.

• Like 1

I use both the Apex and the Deus 2 presently.  I've been using an Apex since late 2020.  The first one (early in production) had issues right out of the box, but Garrett sent an entirely new one and a return label for the first unit. The replacement unit developed a coil issue after a short time, and again, Garrett sent a new, replacement coil. That's top notch Garrett service. 

Since the coil replacement, the machine has been bullet proof for me. I like using it with the 5x8 coil, as its feather light to swing. It's easy to use, and once you learn it's characteristics, you can find plenty of good targets. I have found a lot of coins and relics with it.  And, after learning the Deus 2 for a period of time, went over some of the same sites and found little more.

How does it compare to the Deus 2?  No comparison.  The Deus 2 can spank it on separation, unmasking, and flexibility, but sometimes on some sites, those aren't so important.  The Deus 2 is much higher tech and it's firmware is more refined.  As the video references, the Apex not submersible, nor does it have the flexibility and adjust-ability of the Deus 2, but does a pretty decent job for about 1/3 the price,  and is simple to use.  The ability to have a rechargeable battery, wireless headphones and link-able PP are a plus.  I use the Deus 2 with the same type wireless setup.

Somewhat like the latest Xterra Pro from M-L and Nokta Simplex series, Garrett could extend the Apex into the Ace series.  They could offer machines with SMF capability, but fixed on one select-able frequency at a time, suitable for beach use, and others for general purpose hunting, each with a subset of functions of the Apex.  Garrett would benefit by lower prices on common components used across the (new)Ace line, and retire the old Ace line with the disposable batteries and bulky control box. Hey Steve Moore, do we have your attention?

I believe the Apex has been a stepping stone into SMF for Garrett, and hope they improve the firmware and update the Apex, and perhaps release a new higher end machine (soon) that can compare/compete with the other manufacturers in the SMF category. 

• Like 3

Had a bad coil out of the box and Garrett replaced it without any hassles right away. Wasn't weeks later and gobs of back and force through emails.

Machine does get bit noisy in iron infested grounds and trashy areas you really need the small coil to be able to follow the audio because it is so short. Ground balancing is crutial on that machine as it is surprisingly sensitive even with the Reaper coil. Very easy to run it too hot and not realize it.

Wet sand and even black sand it does incredibly well. Reaper coil runs whisper quiet in the wet and has a fair amount of depth. I think if they ever put the AT Pro audio on that machine it would fly off the shelves. Lot of bang for the buck.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

You'd be amazed how big the market is for basic detecting. Of course the Apex is not for you Jeff - that was never its intention. And of course there are not a lot of Apex users on this forum. Nor Ace users nor Garrett users in general. People here make them quite unwelcome. If you are not running what people deem to be the best (what THEY use) then you are a second class citizen. Threads like this always end up making it clear at some point.

I tried twice to start forums here focused on budget detector users, but they went nowhere, as the high end owners just hung out and kept saying how they could not own those machines, because, god forbid, they lacked a ground balance, or certain custom tone settings. No focus on simply how to get the best out of whatever a person owns. I could own an Ace detector and still do better than most because I know the dirty secret. It’s not the magic detector. It’s the user, the hours, and the right location for whatever detector it is you own.

People should go to the Garrett Searcher Archives and spend an hour just looking at finds made by Ace series detectors. These detectors have been hugely popular and make tremendous finds for people. I used an Ace 300 versus a Vanquish on numerous “found target comparisons” and what impressed me most was how good the Ace was, just the opposite of what you’d think reading comments on this website.

Steve brings up a very valid point with regard to high end users driving off the entry level folks.  The Ace line to me is tort of the VW Beetle of metal detectors.  Nothing flashy, at times put down, but fun to run and it gets the job done.

Case in point since Steve mentioned the Ace 300.   Through some buddies I met this older guy (80+) who, despite having plenty of dough and can afford any of the new multi's, will only hunt with his Ace 300.  My friends told me that at the parks he is simply unbeatable and they all swing Eqinoxes and Deus II's.  I accompanied him on a gold prospecting trip and while we all had high end PI's and gold machines, he had his Ace 300.  None of us found gold but he found the same amount of junk that we all did.

I would say with regard to the Apex, just keep in mind that Garrett introduced it as part of the Ace line.  From there judge it accordingly.

• Like 5

My assessment of the Apex is not about its detecting abilities by itself. It is its detecting abilities combined with its USA price and the price of its competition.

Minelab Vanquish 340   $200

Nokta Simplex   $249 to $339

Minelab X-Terra Pro   $269

Garrett Ace 300   $270

Minelab Vanquish 440  $290

Minelab Vanquish 540   $380

Garrett Apex   $429 to $499

Nokta Legend   $499

XP Deus 1 Lite   $549

XP ORX   $599

Minelab Equinox 600   $599

If the Apex was priced at $300 US, my thoughts about it would be completely different.

• Like 1

The Apex does seem a bit pricey, here it's about the same price as an Equinox 600 which is why I haven't purchased one, I'm a massive fan of my Ace 300i, I really enjoy using it and it's a deep machine, if only it had different audio than the doorbell tones.  In saying that it's better than the duck being murdered sounds of the Simplex 🙂

I often wonder how the Apex would go in my soils, judging by my Ace 300 or 250 I'd say probably quite well.

I would say I'm a happy Ace user and feel confident with my hunting locations for coins in mild relatively iron jink free soils with the majority of junk being pull tabs I would not be left dramatically behind by any detector I've used. 

acehunt.jpg.bf980578621d36f54549dab387c7aa37.jpg

acehuntfinds.thumb.jpg.c13fb8d463af40cc79f472ea5e6e27ce.jpg

• Like 7