Hi,

I'm new here and I came here to find out if anybody is familiar with this scenario.  I bought an Apex last year and I live in an area of New Mexico that is filled with iron, actually found a old 1940's iron which gave me a 92 reading.  My concern is my machine does a lot of false readings. I've tried different settings, channels, frequencies, as it is really noisy while showing constant high readings in the range of 84-98, only to find nothing there. As well as additional iron tones on top of the readings.  Everywhere I walk it's beeps high numbers, also seems to jump around fast in number display in a fanatic highs and lows.  I've done a factory reset, which didn't help. I was reading about how some of models had faulty coil connections which would cause false such readings while swinging and it was a problem with the first 100 produced. I don't know if mine was one on those. Who knows, any advice would be helpful and thanks.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ledster58 said:

Hi,

I'm new here and I came here to find out if anybody is familiar with this scenario.  I bought an Apex last year and I live in an area of New Mexico that is filled with iron, actually found a old 1940's iron which gave me a 92 reading.  My concern is my machine does a lot of false readings. I've tried different settings, channels, frequencies, as it is really noisy while showing constant high readings in the range of 84-98, only to find nothing there. As well as additional iron tones on top of the readings.  Everywhere I walk it's beeps high numbers, also seems to jump around fast in number display in a fanatic highs and lows.  I've done a factory reset, which didn't help. I was reading about how some of models had faulty coil connections which would cause false such readings while swinging and it was a problem with the first 100 produced. I don't know if mine was one on those. Who knows, any advice would be helpful and thanks.

HI ,

I had false( erratic ) signals with mine too , and a faulty Viper coil that I had to send back to the Garrett after service . I preferred to stop with the Apex due to too much issues , even if I like the detector design with its slim control box and the very good Ripper coil.

Perhaps it was due to the 1st 100 produced , I dont know and perhaps the pb is solved now, but I lost time and money with this story and I did not want to retry this detector again ...

I use an Apex extensively and I doubt if it is your coil.  Are you running with iron audio on?  If so, that may account for all of the noise.  The Apex is almost impossible to swing with iron audio on in sites with a lot of iron.  i run mine off and only use it to check questionable targets.  Used that way it is in my opinion quite an asset..  Good targets will not have an iron grunt. 

Not saying it isn't the coil but most detectors can give you trouble in heavy iron.  Have you hunted with the detector in other sites than the one that is giving you trouble?

If you still think it is the coil then by all means contact Garrett.  They have excellent customer service and will most certainly take care of you.

Bill

• Like 2

Had a similar issue and was the coil. Garrett replaced it and it works well.

Higher trash areas you may want to get the 5x8.