Revisiting The Apex

Thanks for taking the time to write that up.  Sounds like a fantastic detector to me, I think if they do continue to develop their multi-flex technology their high end AT replacement is going to be a detector to take notice of.  I'd like to own an Apex and try something different. 

• Like 1

It really isn't a bad beach machine. I never had a problem with it as a beach unit. On land there are better options IMO.

• Like 1

Totally agree, Steve. I wish I could peer behind the curtain at Garrett and see what they are up to.  I can't imagine that Multi-Flex was a one off.  They really have an opportunity to differentiate their multi line from their competitors if they do it right.

• Like 2

I've enjoyed using both the Apex and the Deus 2-9".  The Apex lacks adjust ability and depth, but sometimes at some sites, you don't need the capabilities of the D2. As Tahts-s-dats-ago said above, the Apex has the fun factor.  I've found it fun to use and more than capable in some homesites that were littered with rusting iron square nails.  It just takes a little more time and coil wiggling to separate the non-Fe targets from the Fe ones. The Apex reigns as my backup detector.

I've really found the 5x8 coil effective in some trashy locations,too. If you get a chance to try it, Bill (S.CA), try one out. It makes swinging the detector for a longer period of time much easier. Of course, you do lose some depth but again, sometimes you don't need the depth of the larger coils.

I suspect the Microchip MCU they used for the processing core of the Apex has more HP under the hood to provide, but Garrett chose to limit its use in a mid-level detector.  Perhaps Garrett will take advantage of the extra HP in the future generation SMF detector.   I am hopeful that at some point they will provide a software update for Apex owners that test drives some of the features of said future SMF detector.   I quiz Steve Moore any chance I get to try to nudge along an update for the Apex, but so far, its crickets!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Thanks Bill for taking the time to put this together. I've been using the Apex for 2 years now. In my opinion it's the perfect grab and go machine. Easy to use, runs stable and is light weight. My only wish is that it would have been waterproof. Other then that its a thumbs up in my book.

• Like 1