Pending Purchases Nokta Simplex Ultra And Legend - Thinking Of Getting Both.. Thoughts?

Looking to get back into detecting after a second round of a 10y hiatus from the hobby. I still have my AT-Pro and E-Trac sitting in closet, but thinking about going with lighter weight units, as my wife will now be joining me.

Looking at getting the Simplex Ultra and a Legend (both) I can't seem to find much online as far as comparisons to each other, please on the Simplex line, but nothing that compares it to the Legend. I am pretty settled on the Legend, and just looking at other units that might have some sort of advantages or differences in features.

Let me know your thoughts..

DD88..

Since nobody has offered an opinion yet. I'll give my 2 cents worth. I've had both, still have the Legend. Unless you just want the Simplex for a backup or one for you're wife to use, I see no reason to have both. The Legend will do everything the Simplex will and more. If it's single frequency you're worried about having vs SMF (simultaneous multi-frequency) the Legend has single frequency options built in. The Double Score by Nokta might be a good second metal detector since it's easier to setup and has very good performance.

• Like 5

Just now, abenson said:

Since nobody has offered an opinion yet. I'll give my 2 cents worth. I've had both, still have the Legend. Unless you just want the Simplex for a backup or one for you're wife to use, I see no reason to have both. The Legend will do everything the Simplex will and more. If it's single frequency you're worried about having vs SMF (simultaneous multi-frequency) the Legend has single frequency options built in. The Double Score by Nokta might be a good second metal detector since it's easier to setup and has very good performance.

In talking with some others, I think you are probably correct.. I've heard the Double Score would be a good backup or main unit..

The biggest difference between the Simplex models and the AT Pro, Etrac and Legend (aside from what has already been mentioned) is the audio quality of the tones on the Simplex models. Some like it, some don't mind it and a lot of people absolutely do not like it. In comparison, very few people complain about the audio tones on the AT Pro, Etrac or Legend. It's like salt and sugar. The difference is that big for some. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

As Jeff Stated and I can only report what I know about the Simplex Plus as I have never used the Ultra or BT

Those tones on the Simplex Plus drove me nuts, they remind me of the Aflac Goose that someone has a strangle hold on and the goose refuses to die and shut up, even though I own the ATP and never use it I would much rather listen to that audio in pro mode that the ATP offers as to hear that dying goose tones of the Simplex Plus, don't know if the Ultra is the same or not but lets hope not

I'd give the Simplex a miss, it's duck being murdered tones are terrible, and I'm not overly impressed at all with its performance, good bang for the buck build quality, features and so on, but performance is a bit of a letdown, other detectors by other manufacturers maybe a better choice if you're sticking to that similar sort of price point.

The Legend on the other hand sounds a great choice for you, and if you expect your wife to use a Simplex while you run circles around her with a multi freaker think again, she'll end up claiming that detector and you'll be stuck murdering ducks all day watching her get all the best finds.

• Haha 4

More research has my thinking that while the Double Score is a pretty capable unit, compared to a Legend it's sort of a lower version of it. meaning the Legend is Nokta's flagship unit, and all others under it are lacking a feature or two, although in Iffy Signals comparison video, both units are able to run similar, although the Legend will require some additional tweaks / settings to alter to perform as the DS does out of the box.

)

• Like 3

On 1/15/2024 at 7:13 AM, dirtdigger88 said:

Looking at getting the Simplex Ultra and a Legend (both) I can't seem to find much online as far as comparisons to each other, please on the Simplex line, but nothing that compares it to the Legend. I am pretty settled on the Legend, and just looking at other units that might have some sort of advantages or differences in features

You might as well enjoy the ride before making a purchase decision. Here’s a link to “History Revisited”. You may find his videos also make good training for your ear (hit the CC bottom).

• Like 1