New Manticore Owner Any Tips

Hi Guys,

I just bought a NIB Manticore here locally and thought I would ask the folks that have been using it awhile, for any tips.

I might have made a mistake, I was looking online and found a good deal on an M8 coil, so I bought it, and it arrived this afternoon. After doing a lot of research on Manticore coils, it seems everyone recommends the M15 coil. 

Time will tell, next week we are going to be sunny and 60 degrees, so I am going to turn the Manticore loose.

I have been detecting 25 years, and have used the Nox 900 and the D2, I currently own a Deus 1, with 9" and 11" coils, and the Manticore with 8" and 11" coils. Dang this hobby is addicting 

• Like 2

I bet you are going to really like it.

• Like 1

What @cuniagau said.. for me coming from equinox 800.. don't treat it like an equinox .. its a different beast, different language, different pixel.. changing setting like an equinox without knowing how the manticore response was a disaster.. at least for me lol.. 

Your 25 years of detecting experienced should be no problem to tame da beast me think . Happy hunting on whatever machine you decide to use 🙂

If you want to watch Manticore on youtube.. I suggest  "Metal detecting oregon and beyond" channel.. His 1 year journey transitions from e trac to Manticore.. the hate.. the love.. etc.. 

• Like 2

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info, next week we are going to be sunny and in the 60's, so I will be able to go out and play.

Funny, even at 66 years old, it's still fun to hunt for treasure. When I lived in Arizona, I spent a lot of years hunting for gold, coins and relics, in the Bradshaw Mountains and Superstition Mountains. I never found a large treasure, but I always found something worth keeping, and just being outdoors was worth the time invested

• Like 5

If you don't like the M8 coil, you will have no trouble selling it.  I would bet right now, you could get exactly what you paid for it new.  I got lucky and found the M15, which I think will fit my needs better...but that M8 seems to be the hot ticket item right now.

As for advice/tips.  For just getting started, I would recommend bringing the Ferrous Limits closer in to the center line...moreso than the factory presets.  This will help you not to get fooled by iron/nails as much.  It's similar to the iron bias on an Equinox, but with more user control/customization.  As you kinda get a feel for the machine...you can start opening the ferrous limits back up.  

Welcome the Manticore Users Club!  Lots of good advice so far.

On 1/26/2024 at 11:17 PM, fishersari said:

...Don't treat it like an equinox....

I'll go one step further -- don't think of it like any other detector.  Sure, it makes noise when there is metal in range and that noise is loaded with info, but it speaks its own language.  Here are a few more recommendations:

0) Read the manual cover-to-cover before your first adventure.  After a few hunts, go through it again.  In the second pass you can skip sections you know you won't use, but you don't know which those are if you haven't been through it completely once already!

1) If you are on land, set the sensitivity at 17 (or lower, not higher).  I know this may be counter to other detectors -- only halfway up the scale -- but in my experience so far (test garden and field) the Manticore is every bit as deep on 17 as my Equinox 800 at 22-23, and in some settings it's (measurably) a bit deeper.  People on beaches (without black sand present) can crank up the gain for better depth but if there is even moderate mineralization (like I have) you just end up deteriorating the Digital Target ID (and 2-D screen Target Trace) by turning up the sensitivity.  That's my experience (and others', too).

2) There are an encyclopedia's worth of sound settings on the Manticore, at least compared even to the Equinox.  Don't get discouraged if the factory settings (and there are many of those already depending upon mode) aren't to your liking.

3) If your Manticore isn't running the latest software update (there has been only one made available to users so far), you are OK at first but I would consider getting it upgraded fairly soon.  (Pretty easy to do.)  Although the upgrade doesn't have a lot of changes, there are some and easier to learn once than unlearn and relearn, IMO.

Enjoy your new tool!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

1) If you are on land, set the sensitivity at 17 (or lower, not higher).  I know this may be counter to other detectors -- only halfway up the scale -- but in my experience so far (test garden and field) the Manticore is every bit as deep on 17 as my Equinox 800 at 22-23, and in some settings it's (measurably) a bit deeper. 

I can tell you from a fair amount of frustration the above is correct. The Manticore does so well with EMI I had a tendency to just keep going higher and higher in sensitivity.  Good targets will hit well at low sensitivity, just an fyi Pepsi caps hit harder than coins they are annoying.  

• Like 1

Do not run the machine hot unless your on clean ground is the best advice i can give and I have had my manticore since it came out on my iron infested mineralised soil I run 18 sensitivity and the manticore is a dream to use 😊

• 3 weeks later...

Some great information posted here, thanks. Waiting for my Manticore to be delivered, can't wait to try it out