Picked Up A Orx, And Have A Question On Coils

I picked up a Xp ORX in a trade deal, it came with the 9 inch HF coil

I have personally never used any of the Xp detectors, and felt it was time to give one a try,one of the main reasons I wanted to try the ORX was because of how lite and compact they are, I wanted a detector I could carry in a back pack when I went out nugget detecting while I was swinging the Axiom, and I felt the ORX checked all the boxes in what I was wanting it for

Now my question is I am thinking about also picking up the 9.5x5 HF coil for the ORX also would that coil be better for nugget detection over the 9 inch round HF coil ???, I do know the 9 inch HF coil runs up as high as 59 KHz and the 9.5x5 elliptical HF coil runs up to 81 KHz

Is it worth picking up the 9.5x5 HF elliptical coil ???

Thanks for any and all replies

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DSMITH said:

I picked up a Xp ORX in a trade deal, it came with the 9 inch HF coil

I have personally never used any of the Xp detectors, and felt it was time to give one a try,one of the main reasons I wanted to try the ORX was because of how lite and compact they are, I wanted a detector I could carry in a back pack when I went out nugget detecting while I was swinging the Axiom, and I felt the ORX checked all the boxes in what I was wanting it for

Now my question is I am thinking about also picking up the 9.5x5 HF coil for the ORX also would that coil be better for nugget detection over the 9 inch round HF coil ???, I do know the 9 inch HF coil runs up as high as 59 KHz and the 9.5x5 elliptical HF coil runs up to 81 KHz

Is it worth picking up the 9.5x5 HF elliptical coil ???

Thanks for any and all replies

(IMO)---Yes to both your questions.-----9.5"X5" h.f. best for nugget AND relic hunting.----9" h.f. best for coin hunting (again, IMO.

• Like 4

I have the Deus 1 not the Orx but same coils.

The 9.5x5" is more sensitive to very small targets and provides significantly better depth on very small gold, especially at the tip and toe.    I have both coils and have tested them extensively on this, and realliy it's to be expected.

I use reactivity on 1, the lower the better, and as usual with gold prospecting low and slow on the coil, disc IAR as low as you can go, for me it's all at rock bottom as I don't have bad soils or junk around except shot pellets and nothing helps with that.

I use a low threshold and sensitivity near max.

It's a pretty good gold detector, and I'd imagine the ORX is very similar, all the top-of-the-line gold prospecting capable detectors are so similar in performance but the XP does well considering it's got quite a large smallest coil with the 9.5 x 5" 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello, I used both coils for the detection of native gold, either one works quite well, the issue of frequency is very relative since it will depend on the type of soil whether or not it allows you to use the maximum frequency... the coil elliptical is more sensitive but I assure you that with the round coil you will be impressed by configuring it correctly

• Like 4

That's a good video, I'd love to detect that ground.

• Like 2

Yes nice video with a beautiful landscape , thanks ...