1955 Detector

Guessing this was a basic BFO type, no ground balance. Small parts count, be interesting to see what components are still avail or the nearest counterpart to suit. No real practical applications anymore, except maybe using for building work, scanning walls for unknown metal bolts, screws, elec wiring, plumbing etc

• Like 1

On 2/24/2024 at 3:30 PM, Aureous said:

Small parts count, be interesting to see what components are still avail or the nearest counterpart to suit.

All parts are still being sold. the transistors are also know as a 2n3906. Original parts can also be found on Ebay or Amazon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm impressed they had a transistorized design so early.  Commercially available transistors had only been around for about a year and commercially available products (e.g. portable radios) were still a couple years away.  (See Wikipedia entry.)

Around summer 1969 I bought an electronics magazine containing a metal detector project.  I built the PoS.  It was not even close to as nice of a package as the one you post from 14 years earlier!  Was it not until almost 1960 that the first commercially made transistorized metal detectors came into being?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Was it not until almost 1960 that the first commercially made transistorized metal detectors came into being?

The first transistor metal detectors were made for the military in 1958, and I believe they were then sold to the public around 1961.

• Like 2