Time For Me To Jump Onboard And Buy A Legend, Nel Now Make Coils For It

Simon,

You have such good reasons for your purchases.

You make me want to replace my 800 with a Legend.  I know Jeff likes them too.

I sent PayPal payment last night.  NEL Attack 15X15. 14-21 days shipping.  I hope it comes thru alright as I think it will give me some more depth for my mild ground sites.  I have one spot(water sand) that has played out after many nice deep coins.  I also have a new large permission dating to the mid 1830's that I doubt has ever been detected and should be mostly mild dirt. Many of the old areas would have been plowed in latter times. It is all improved pasture & woods now.  The Nokta LG35 coil is excellent in every way & my experience with NEL coils is also excellent, so I am hopeful.  

1 hour ago, JCR said:

I sent PayPal payment last night.  NEL Attack 15X15. 14-21 days shipping.  I hope it comes thru alright as I think it will give me some more depth for my mild ground sites.  

Hi JCR.

To me, the LG35 is more of a 13" round coil, than it is an elliptical, but it will be really interesting to read about your findings with the 15" round coil. Will you be doing head to head depth comparisons between it, and the LG35? If so, can you compare with a coin lying flat, as well as on edge?

Right around that 13" to 15" round coil size range, is also the point of diminishing returns on coin sized objects. So much so, that the 15" might even get less a little less depth than the 13" on small targets like coins on edge. For example, I did an in ground silver dime depth comparison between the LG24 (9.5x6) to the LG28 (11" round). With the dime lying flat, the 11" round coil could hit the dime only about 1" deeper than the 9.5x6. Granted, the larger the coin, the more spread there would be in the depth difference. With the dime on edge, there was no depth difference between those coils. Although, that's not too much of a surprise considering the smaller coil will be more sensitive to small targets due to the tighter field and receiving less of the ground signal. If I were to compare the dime on edge using the 9.5x6 and the 13" round (which I don't have lol), I'd bet the 13" round would get slightly less depth.

I hope I don't come across as debbie downer, and I also hope you prove me wrong 🙂 

• Like 1

Those a valid & correct observations.   I have noticed no practical diminishment of sensitivity to the small targets I want to dig with the 13" coils I have from Nokta, Detech or Garrett.  I know there is some on the smallest of targets, but anything smaller than a primer cap is not of much interest to me on Relic/coin sites.  Fine jewelry/chains would be a different matter.   I will try to post my observations on the 15" NEL Attack/Legend performance at some point.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone tried these yet? The Snake and Sharpshooter coils look interesting. Would there be an advantage compared to the lg15 and lg24?

On 3/8/2024 at 1:35 AM, OrBrad said:

Thanks.  I didn't think you would know but thought perhaps there was some data out there to extrapolate how the Snake has performed on other detectors vs their stock coils that were similar to the LG15. 

I can remember having the Cors Shrew coil for my old Teknetics T2LTD. Same thing as a Nel Snake. That little coil was a killer. For something so small it got very good depth. And when it came to separation, I've yet to find another coil like that one. That little coil allowed you to turn up the sensitivity more (reasonable) and seemed to be way better against interference. The construction/build quality was awesome.

I don't own the T2 anymore but can vouch for the Snake/Shrew coil and it being very effective.

• Like 3