Time For Me To Jump Onboard And Buy A Legend, Nel Now Make Coils For It

The thing I like about the size is it can poke into places a rounder coil struggles, especially when creek detecting, and with the Legend being waterproof combined with the Snake, it will be the best in class for that type of work.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, phrunt said:

The thing I like about the size is it can poke into places a rounder coil struggles, especially when creek detecting, and with the Legend being waterproof combined with the Snake, it will be the best in class for that type of work.

Not that it matters, but i probably could have worded that better.  I won't be working in the water... in a actual creek bottom.   That's just a term for being at the bottom of the valley, or canyon.  SW Oregon is pretty mountainous so you are either hiking uphill or down.  Some placer areas are quite hard to get to, so I definitely want the best coil for the job considering the effort.  I will actually be working exposed bedrock near the Creeks/River, high benches and old dredge tailing piles. 

• Like 2

Hmm I've been away too long from the game. Work has consumed my life. It's time to head back out into the dirt, even if I have to crawl.

It seems now is a good time to try a Legend and the Nel Snake coil. IF you can get your hands on one of the coils. Still have my XP ORX with X35 11" coil that has been sitting a long while(regularly charged). That may be what I try to sell to help fund a Legend and Nel Snake combo.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2024 at 10:01 PM, OrBrad said:

Not that it matters, but i probably could have worded that better.  I won't be working in the water... in a actual creek bottom.   

I was talking about for my needs with the creek detecting 🙂 To justify detectors now I need them to have an advantage over something I've already got, a tangible advantage too, as with detectors maxing out VLF performance for some time now it's very hard to find a way to justify buying another model, often it comes down to very minor things that makes someone like one brand or model over another, in this case having the Nel coils is something I personally really appreciate and that becomes the Legends advantage over other detectors for me. 

I'm going to buy the coil before the detector, it's quite easy to buy a Legend in NZ on the second-hand market, they're always popping up for sale in NZ, so I'll go second hand as I think the Legend's a bit over priced here compared to other countries where at least in some it's a real bargain.   The Nel coils appear like they'll be a challenge to get, at least at the moment so I'll secure my Snake coil before buying the detector, I have a number of Nel coils for other detectors so have a pretty good idea of the coils I'd like to buy for the Legend, the other being the Tornado.  I'd prefer the Detech Ultimate over the Tornado, simply as I like the weight better and it's just a really nice coil, one of the best VLF coils the aftermarket have ever produced, I think. 

Detech have been slow to release Legend coils too, a good range for the Simplex but I guess the same chip that was holding Nel back is holding Detech back, seeing Nel now have access to the chips hopefully Detech will soon too.  If the Legend gets Detech and Nel coils, it may well become one of my favourite VLF detectors, if not my favourite.

I've wanted a SMF detector that's had a coil like the Snake or the Snake since forever, it's finally becoming a reality.

• Like 3

I am disappointed in not having received any response from NEL concerning my Email order request on March 07.   I hope they will be able to at some point.

3 hours ago, JCR said:

I am disappointed in not having received any response from NEL concerning my Email order request on March 07.   I hope they will be able to at some point.

I've always found they're very slow on Emails.  Hopefully it all works out.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, D&P-OR said:

Where can you buy a NEL Snake coil in the U.S.?-----My two main dealers don't sell NELs.

Did you try these?  http://nel-coils.com/index.php/en/usa

On 3/11/2024 at 12:42 PM, phrunt said:

I've always found they're very slow on Emails.  Hopefully it all works out.

I did get a response from NEL this morning. I think I will place the order & make the Pay Pal payment and see if it shows up.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JCR said:

I did get a response from NEL this morning. I think I will place the order & make the Pay Pal payment and see if it shows up.

I hope it works out. I'm working towards getting a Legend. It seems fascinating enough to mess around with a while. Just what I need to get me back into dirt fishing. My poor Equinox 800 will just have to be jealous. Besides, me and that EQ800 have an understanding- The Legend will just be my side squeeze.

• Like 1