I've Been Looking Through My Old Pictures Again, Some Made Me Cry...

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

If a GPZ 8000 does not give me a genuine better shot at gold coming out of currently dead ground then I don't need it, no matter what it weighs.

It's about the gold as Steve said.  You can perform, outperform, over perform or any other improvement you want with a detector but if it doesn't get you a significant amount of gold from existing patches (based on reports from others) then it won't be needed.  We can use the detectors we have now to find new patches.  That is a bit of a different challenge than just a better detector.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

We can use the detectors we have now to find new patches.  That is a bit of a different challenge than just a better detector.

You nailed it Mitchel. Yes, the way to go find more gold is to go find undiscovered patches. We all say it and as you note the machines we have are perfectly capable of doing the job. I don't think people will be lining up to buy new models based solely on them being "a better patch hunter."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A new model is going to have to do a lot more than be lighter with some minor benefits, if it doesn't all it will do is drive up the sales of aftermarket coils for those who have waited out buying them in hope a new model comes out that's significantly better.  I just don't see a new GPZ coming anytime soon.  I'd love to be wrong, but I doubt I am.

It will either be good and I'd want to own one, although I doubt,I'll be buying it as it will be another very overpriced detector for someone in my position with little gold to be found or it will be not as good as many hope and drive-up sales of aftermarket coils for the 7000.  The 6000 already increased the sales of GPZ aftermarket coils, a new 7000 is going to do the same.

People think do I invest another 10+ grand (Australian) on a new detector for some better performance, or a couple of grand (Australian) on my existing one and it also gets better performance for a lot less money, how close it is to the new detector is what we will have to wait and see, they may just wait until the 6000 and 7000's are all old in another 5 or 6 years and release it then, that way it's just a new model not needing to be that much better performing as people are looking to replace older detectors with problems anyway, and it can have all the modern lightweight features and whatever Bluetooth is around at the time, and better screens, batteries and whatever else other industries invent to improve the product.

We took Doc's topic off on a tangent, didn't we Doc?