Scratchy Low Tid - 18ct 37gm Chain (video)

Thanks for sharing the video and glad to see the saves, very nice items.

Good luck on your next outing.

• Like 2

Very nice. I bought my GF a hollow link 18k bracelet back in 2001. She still wears it every time she leaves the house now days. It shows signs of wear, but has held up so far. Nice find!

• Like 2

Another great find for you!

Some question if you don't mind because I am beginning to start this type of detecting. Do you use a sand scoop or just fan the sand and use the pinpointer? Do you use dive weights to help stay in place in the surf? My last trip to Hawaii was in the surf and shoulder deep and I could not stay in place with the waves pushing me a couple feet every time they hit me.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, matt said:

Another great find for you!

Some question if you don't mind because I am beginning to start this type of detecting. Do you use a sand scoop or just fan the sand and use the pinpointer? Do you use dive weights to help stay in place in the surf? My last trip to Hawaii was in the surf and shoulder deep and I could not stay in place with the waves pushing me a couple feet every time they hit me.

Thanks all!

I use a scoop only in murky water/rough conditions where I can not see underwater. This spot is usually clear enough that I can snorkel it so I don't bother with the scoop. I find so much here that I don't bother ever using the scoop, I just wait until I can swim it. 

I always use dive weights when I'm in the water, it helps keep you down, otherwise the wetsuit makes you far too buoyant and it's soo hard to dig targets, especially when there's waves which constantly push you around. I just weighed my belt and I'm using 13.1kg (10 weights) . It'll depend on your BMI as well, I'm 6ft5 & about 92kg, so you may need more or less. My wetsuit is also very thin, about 2/3mm. When I tried out a thicker wetsuit I was using near 20kg of weights and it wouldn't keep me down, so keep that in mind. It can get pretty cold in winter. A wetsuit hood also makes a massive difference. If you're planning on going deeper in the water (eg, scuba diving) it'll also vary as your wetsuit shrinks at depth. 

A quick tip as well which I find helps a lot; find a yearly graph of water temperatures for the location you wish to detect and print it out. I can see the water temp for each month of the year so I know when it will be coldest and warmest. Take advantage of the warmest months.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TTT2866 said:

Thanks all!

I use a scoop only in murky water/rough conditions where I can not see underwater. This spot is usually clear enough that I can snorkel it so I don't bother with the scoop. I find so much here that I don't bother ever using the scoop, I just wait until I can swim it. 

I always use dive weights when I'm in the water, it helps keep you down, otherwise the wetsuit makes you far too buoyant and it's soo hard to dig targets, especially when there's waves which constantly push you around. I just weighed my belt and I'm using 13.1kg (10 weights) . It'll depend on your BMI as well, I'm 6ft5 & about 92kg, so you may need more or less. My wetsuit is also very thin, about 2/3mm. When I tried out a thicker wetsuit I was using near 20kg of weights and it wouldn't keep me down, so keep that in mind. It can get pretty cold in winter. A wetsuit hood also makes a massive difference. If you're planning on going deeper in the water (eg, scuba diving) it'll also vary as your wetsuit shrinks at depth. 

A quick tip as well which I find helps a lot; find a yearly graph of water temperatures for the location you wish to detect and print it out. I can see the water temp for each month of the year so I know when it will be coldest and warmest. Take advantage of the warmest months.  

Thank you for the detailed response! Fortunately the water in Hawaii never gets cold so a wetsuit is really not necessary at any time of the year. The water is almost always very clear unless there is a bug storm surge. Hopefully I'll have some success next trip there.

Beautiful chain! Congratulations on an epic find!