Gold Detecting, Mushroom And Berry Picking

Strange as it seems, my wife loves to do crafts with pine cones. So most of the times I carry a cloth shopping bag, when hunting my wooded area I frequent, and bring her a bag full. She picks out the good ones and the rest feed my outside wood burner,

As for mushrooms, my Dad used to take me along, gee around 55 years ago, and tried to teach me, as he called it, mushroom pickin, and now I wish I paid attention.😔

• Like 2

Well, bring I’m not a crafter like her, what ever looks good I pick it up, mostly the bigger cones, not sure of the differences too much.  Most are opened up and look pretty nice.

Just looked up the sugar pine cones and definitely not them, their huge,  definitely the smaller.

• Like 1

In New Hampshire, I like to find blackberries, black raspberries, raspberries, and blueberries throughout the summer. I often see mushrooms but haven't yet learned to identify them properly. I'm pretty sure I spotted some morels last year but left them where they were.

• Like 3

Didn't take a picture but just yesterday came across a large fruiting of Shaggy Parasol (Chlorophyllum rhacodes or Lepiota Rhacodes), one of my favorites. Great with scrambled eggs. A place I like to metal detect is up in the hills where there was a road house along old Skyline Road in the late 1800's - about 1930. Fall and winter I can always find chanterelles and horns of plenty, not to mention the blackberry bushes I have to whack through to get there in the spring. Yummmmm.

• Like 3

Morels, corrals and bolet mushrooms. Blackberries, elderberrys and Huckleberry's. Have a harder time with the "Gold berry's" here is pic showing the contrast between hucks and the Gold variety.

KIMG0695.JPG

• Like 6

Dutch oven baked fresh blackberry cobbler with homemade vanilla ice cream on the Klamath River.  Salmonberries you pick from the edges of the trail while hiking in the Olympics.  Those were some of my favorites.  But that was before detecting. Now that I mainly desert detect when I can go, the only berries I pick are the little round lead ones that I mostly keep finding. Don’t eat those!!

• Like 3

Forgot to mention that the gold berry's keep indefinitely, but do not make good syrup, jelly or even a good topping on pizza....