Equinox 700/900 Software Update

https://www.minelab.com/usa/equinox-700-900-software-upgrade?

WHAT IS NEW?

Enhanced Target Separation Performance: Enjoy enhanced target separation with a new Iron Bias ‘-1’ setting. This pushes target unmasking to new levels, giving users an aggressive target separation option for hunted out iron infested sites.

Continuous Auto Noise Cancel:Pressing and holding the Accept/Reject button with Noise Cancel selected in the Settings Menu will continuously run Noise Cancel until the button is released. Running Noise Cancel over a longer period improves the measurement of noise on each channel and can capture noise sources that vary with time, giving the user the best possible noise rejection in challenging EMI environments.

General Stability Enhancements: Small changes addressing infrequent use cases.

IMG_0052.jpegIMG_0053.jpeg

• Like 3

I knew this was coming.  This makes the X-terra Elite basically a 700 lite (or the 700 an X-terra Triple Elite).  So now the only differences between the two detectors is the lack of the additional single frequencies and the wider minimum 4 segment notch on the X-Terra Elite.  -1 must switch off Iron Bias altogether.

15 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

-1 must switch off Iron Bias altogether.

Wouldn't no iron bias (a true 0 iron bias setting) mean most, if not all ferrous objects would be identified as nonferrous?

In one of the Legend updates, a 0 setting for the iron filter was introduced, but it's not a true 0 iron bias. 

7 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

It was shown years ago that IB = 0 does not switch off IB on Equinox Machines.

Ok, but I was referring to your comment that "-1 must switch off Iron Bias altogether".

What I was getting at, was that detectors have to have at least some iron bias. Correct? 

Has anyone tried this upgrade? Feedback?

2 hours ago, ☠ Cipher said:

Continuous Auto Noise Cancel:Pressing and holding the Accept/Reject button with Noise Cancel selected in the Settings Menu will continuously run Noise Cancel until the button is released. Running Noise Cancel over a longer period improves the measurement of noise on each channel and can capture noise sources that vary with time, giving the user the best possible noise rejection in challenging EMI environments.

I always thought the noise cancel was too fast. Do it six times in a row, get six different results. Frankly I prefer a manual option but this hopefully helps.

They stopped with 600/800 updates so I guess a benefit of the newer models is restarting the update clock.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Digalicious said:

Ok, but I was referring to your comment that "-1 must switch off Iron Bias altogether".

What I was getting at, was that detectors have to have at least some iron bias. Correct? 

In some situations it would be preferred to have IB, obviously, but the issue always was that with more iron bias applied, you affected the ability to separate proximate non-ferrous targets from that iron (even with fast recovery), so being able to switch it off altogether does have a tradeoff advantage in thick iron.  This could bring the Equinox closer to the Deus 2's noted superior performance in thick iron.   Folks who really know their way around their machines (i.e., understand what the audio is telling them) tend to go with fewer filters.  This enables one less filter to be engaged.

• Like 4