Buying Just One Detector and Upgrading as Needed / Really Great Concept!

This is quite an exciting offering from Garret's newest platform, would really like the other companies to do the same sort of offerings. A friend was just saying to me a few weeks back that having several options for uploads would be great for allowing the beginners and the professionals to have the options they want. I could see Minelab offering the GPX-6000 and GM-1000 with its super user-friendly package option for the foreign markets and for the people that just want a quiet turn on and go detector. And then there's the professional guys that want the GPX-5000 and Manticore's complexity of controls added to the 6000 and 1000 that would be willing to pay a lot more just to buy the upgrade and they also do not want to keep selling off their older detectors into the used detector markets for a huge loss just to buy the newer versions. Maybe we could even add more warranty time in the upgrade packages. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

Wouldn't that differential in upgrades be hacked in a hot second? It sounds interesting but...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flakmagnet said:

Wouldn't that differential in upgrades be hacked in a hot second? It sounds interesting but...

That was exactly what i was thinking,some very clever chaps around that can do amazing things with electronics.Of course they must have thought this one through.

Garrett designs likely use Cortex micros which have a unique embedded serial number on the chip. This allows them to compile a firmware image that will only run on one particular unit but no others.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, RONS DETECTORS MINELAB said:

This is quite an exciting offering from Garret's newest platform, would really like the other companies to do the same sort of offerings.

Please do not be offended. My first reaction was what a nothing burger this is. After two days, now my second reaction is what a nothing burger this is. 

This can only lead to having us pay for detector fixes that a particular company never completed correctly to begin with. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, midalake said:

This can only lead to having us pay for detector fixes that a particular company never completed correctly to begin with. 

Like a new lower shaft for my Manticore? 🙂

• Like 4

1 minute ago, midalake said:

Detector companies have had this option for years now, not a one has tried it. The first one who tries it will lose market share while their competitors and customers rightly hammer them for it. If it gets tried, it will get tried once.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, midalake said:

Initially I would hope the companies could just offer these two user options one for basic settings and one for professional use all at the same cost point as I have a lot of older people that do not want to learn anything that complicated and I personally am more interested in having total control of all options. It seems like it would allow the market to be more open to a larger crowd of customers.
It would sure be nice to not have to keep selling off outdated high dollar detectors every time a company makes a couple small claims of having better performance gains.

• Like 2

Algoforce use Cortex micro controllers and I was immediately thinking back in March that this could allow new timings to be added down the track. If enough energy could be dumped and a nice slow timing added, it could become a real deep-seeker for big gold and deep coins/relics. 

The Garrett 'Nothing Burger' seems like an odd choice for splitting the release into 3 units to start with. Going down the failed 'many models' route under a single banner. I do like the concept of the MD-MF tech. If it works fully in the real world with minimal glitches, it may well be a winner for those seeking 'goodies' in iron infested sites. But, I suspect that everyone interested in this tech will just buy the flagship unit with the other 2 being largely unsold......

• Like 3