Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Selectable Frequency And Multiple Frequency

I'm not feeling near as pissy as I was when I learned that my wireless pinpointer patent was dropped and XP would own that technology, so I won't comment on all the behind-the-scenes stuff other than to say, official statements rarely reflected reality. One bit of truth was that the Cypress module has a low transfer rate (62kbits/sec as I recall) which is good enough for audio packets, but transferring programs turned out to be slow and prone to drops. New modules are 15-30x faster and can easily do the job. And it's only with Bluetooth 4 that BT audio has gotten fast enough to be usable for detectors, but still tends to be more power-hungry than using a proprietary protocol.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, johnedoe said:

I have a V3i and it has been a good one... 

I would love to see White's expand on that platform.

Probably never.

Carl, thank you for replying. I read your book and it was very educational. I had planed on designing my own detector as I did not see much progress from manufactures. However, after reading your book, I quickly learned it would take me years to get up to speed. Thanks again!

image.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting. Where I can order one?

If you mean the book Shelton it is on Amazon, paperback and Kindle 

"Inside the Metal Detector offers hard-to-find information on the technology behind metal detectors. The basics of induction and eddy currents are explained, plus the major categories of BFO, TR, motion VLF, and PI are covered. Included are hands-on experiments and complete metal detector projects in every category. A list of resources includes web sites, books, magazine articles, and patents. 250 pages."

image.jpg

• Like 2

Great info Steve. My records show the Eureka Gold was released December 2002. It was well after the Gold Hawk as when I started at Minelab the Hawk was out, and I started testing the replacement for the XT18000, and we used the Hawk as a bit of a bench mark to test against.

• Like 2

Thanks for the correction Nenad - I edited the posts. Obviously the Eureka Gold did not come out one year after the XT18000. The funny part is I lifted all the Minelab dates from their website at http://www.minelab.com/usa/customer-care/product-notices/discontinued-products where it shows 1998 as year of production.

• 6 months later...

Good article Steve.  I am a complete illiterate when it comes to multi frequency detectors. I did have the Eureka Ace but it was selectable.  More and more I am liking the look of the Equinox.   Dave

Thanks Dave. Obviously I have an interest in the area myself. Looks like the original post will need an update when I have time! Up until now only the V3i/VX3 allowed for both multi frequency and selectable/switchable frequency in one unit. A V3i in the MX Sport box would have been a great follow up but now....

• Like 1