Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Detector Market

Cabo Chris

11 hours ago, Redneck said:

a brand new 705 with HF coil just went for 285 on the choo choo forum.  350 is way too  high !  :rolleyes:

and a used one went for 250.

$499 is the MAP price -- lots on Ebay.  I'd be suspicious of $285 for a new one.  Pretty sure these detectors were being copied/pirated in China -- the Gold Pack specifically.  I count four used ones on Ebay that have sold for ~$275 (including shipping cost).  Three of those were with 5"x10" DD 18.75 kHz coil, the other with the 7.5 kHz stock (coin) 9" concentric but the seller warns the coil is defective on this one.

• Like 2

Wasn't aware China would copy a cheaper machine, only the more expensive units.

If that is the case, I'd imagine once bought and it turned out to be a China copy, buyer beware.  I guess a person would be stuck.........

Thanks for the heads up..............

I still believe the Equinox is helping to flood the used detector market.  I just picked up a sweet deal on a used Explorer SE Pro with 4 coils, including an SEF, WOT, phones, accessories...  for under $550.  Now some of you will respond I paid too much and perhaps I did, but do not care.  I got a great FBS machine cheap!  I have not used Explorers much.  Had a customized XS and a Safari.  I was not too fond of either after some basic testing and sold them without fair field use.  I've had 4 3030s, because 3 of them leaked.  So I know what the CTX is all about- obviously the best FBS machine.  

But I just could not pass on the used SE and know I good ring find will pay for it, which I expect to happen based on my beach work with BBS/CTX.  The only way for me to know if I like a detector or not is to use it.  Because I had not fallen in love with the XS/Safari, I had some doubts about the SE.  Well I just got it and it's in better condition than the photos/description!  Put it together and liked this detector instantly.  It responds better to my test targets than the XS/Safari seemed to.  Actually now that I understand CTX functions, the SE seems easy to run.  It does seem faster than the XS/Safari  and I can't wait to hit the beach in search of jewelry.  

As mostly an Excalibur user, thus far I do like the tones of the SE.  Like the detector is speaking to me and my brain can process what I hear.  If after some hunts if I do not still like the SE, I'll make a great package deal to someone else!  But I suspect I will be keeping the SE!

Because the NOX has become such a sensation is why I even looked at Explorers.  I just wanted to see the market, especially what is/will be happening with the CTX!  When I saw how cheap SEs went for, I just had to try one.  I'm looking forward to testing in wet salt sand the SE vs. NOX on deep gold rings and am hoping the NOX Wows me!  I want the Equinox to excel for my travel needs, but suspect the NOX will not provide the same level of tonal information as FBS?  Some who sold their FBS machines for a NOX may be going back?  I want the NOX to be the best machine for my needs.                   

Hey Cabo.....that is a killer deal for an SE.  I know it has been mentioned numerous time already, but there are some great deals out there for used Explores, e-tracs etc.  Heck, as soon as I was satisfied with the Equinox info, I sold my e-trac. This was 2 months ago....I paid $1100 new, but got $980 for it on fee bay with more than 2 years of active warrenty.  

Why????  I hunt the beaches of So. Cal.  Everytime I would get too close the surf, it seemed that rouge wave would get too close for a non water proof detector.   

To each his own, but I am confident that my Eqinox preorder is the right decision for me. 

Wait.....I already have 2 Excals and a Dual Field.  Do I really need the Equinox.....Yes I do. : -)

Congrats Cabo on the purchase.  Life is to short to ignore wants.  Keep us posted on how you do.

https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/119797/customer-counterfeit-comms.pdf

This is a (now) five year old document which shows the X-Terra 705 Gold Pack authentication sticker.

https://www.minelab.com/usa/customer-care/stop-counterfeits/counterfeit-update

This webpage has a bit more overall (GPX models especially), but I don't think anything new (compared to above) regarding the X-T 705 GP.  Still 4 1/2 years old so maybe they've got the problem licked.  Take that back; I doubt the counterfeiting problem is ever really licked.  Kind of a whack-a-mole game....