Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

On 4/6/2018 at 2:48 PM, LipCa said:

Man Steve, you had a good spot.  A coin every 2.25 minutes if you were out there for 4 hours........ (what does "few hours" mean? usually 3 hours)

Next time I'm in Reno, I'm going to follow you!! :smile:

Not that hot I think, just local parks, and more like 7-8 hours over three outings. 

I have been going out to a local park since coming back from wintering in Arizona. When I first started going there last summer, the locals there told me that they had seen detectorists there for years. Since I was new to coin hunting and learning how to use my         CTX 3030, I kept going back. I have found hundreds  of coins including two Buffalos and several silvers. These are my finds for the last three times out, all were about three hours each. I dig nickel sounds because I haven't found any jewelry there yet.

Not giving up Norm

IMG_5569_1C (1).jpg

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, normmcq said:

I dig nickel sounds because I haven't found any jewelry there yet.

Dig the lower tones as well down to 12.03 and up to the nickel ID and you may get a gold ring. Looking forward to seeing you up in gods country this summer.

strick

Nice ! those V nickels can sometimes be in rough shape. Funny how one is red and the other is green. I hit a park last night for a couple house...one junk ring and a bunch of coins...I was very impressed with the Nox I picked the trashiest spot in the park and went through swinging fast and was able to clearly pick out the high tones and zero in on them. 

strick 

2 hours ago, strick said:

Funny how one is red and the other is green.

Yeah, that was weird. Nickels turn red in this soil. The green one was under some trees, about 8” down in some roots, and although it’s been raining popped out of the ground green and dry. It was like in this little air pocket under a root. Unfortunately it was a very worn coin when dropped so being protected did it no good. The red one has much better detail. I am going to try some of the cleaning tips on this thread to see if I can get some better contrast.

The penny is in great shape except for some weird corrosion blobs.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

One reason - my wife seems far less impressed by a few old coins than by a vial of gold nuggets!

:laugh: So true.  Ever since I brought home my first gold ring, my coin finds are much less interesting to my wife.  haha.  Tim.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Yeah, that was weird. Nickels turn red in this soil. The green one was under some trees, about 8” down in some roots, and although it’s been raining popped out of the ground green and dry. It was like in this little air pocket under a root. Unfortunately it was a very worn coin when dropped so being protected did it no good. The red one has much better detail. I am going to try some of the cleaning tips on this thread to see if I can get some better contrast.

The penny is in great shape except for some weird corrosion blobs.

The red one will clean up for sure with steel wool....other green one looks pretty ruff?  Just remember that it's easy to overdue it on cleaning those old buffs and V's, especially if you go with the chemicals. Stick with the steel wool and you'll be pretty safe.  Modern nickels I clean with vinegar & salt and throw a bunch in a small container and shake the piss outta them. ALWAYS keep your nickels separate from other dug coins when cleaning, don't mix them with any other pennies or clad......

I don't know why (?) but I love digging V's/buffs even tho they usually are in bad shape.............

NICE coins!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2